Cleanup Crew for 10 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Souperman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Before I go in to detail I know I should not rely on creatures to do my job. I am just looking for something to help get food pieces that slip between my ember tetras out of plants were it can not be removed easily. I have myself been getting better with feeding I just can't figure out a way to get all the food I feed small enough for the tetras to eat. I have tried feeding micro pellets but even they seem to big for the tetras mouths so I have been manually grinding up flake food to feed them.

snails and shrimps would help greatly to break the food down and can be really attractive. also they will give some variety to the fish tank by having something other than fish.

snails and shrimps would help greatly to break the food down and can be really attractive. also they will give some variety to the fish tank by having something other than fish.
Any specific types that would be good? I am looking for something that won't overrun my tank and will be easy to control the population.

Red Cherry Shrimp are by far the easiest shrimp to keep, they will breed but the tetras will more than likely have a field day hunting and eating the tiny shrimplets so the population should only grow slowly. Cherry shrimp are also good in that they come in a range of colours, just be aware that the more expensive the colour usually means the harder to keep and that due to line breeding to establish the colour morph the other colours can have less vigour and be fussier in water paramaters.
Colours include
Red Cherry - Sakura
Fire Red
Bloody Mary
Blue - Velvet
Diamond

Black

Chocolate

Green

Yellow

Orange- Sunkist

Rilli - this are being developed in almost all of the colours listed above.

The temptation is great to mix all the colours together and have a "rainbow" tank of shrimp but this a really bad idea since the resulting offspring will in almost every case not look like any of the parents instead they will revert to dull wild type shrimp that people only want as live for certain fish.

Any good places to get shrimp and which types are the hardiest? Also which types tend to be cheaper?

United States, I know my lfs will be able to get at least rcs in but that may be it.

I only have one shop so that won’t be to hard. Won’t be in till Tuesday though so if anyone knows a good website with good prices please let me know.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back