Cichlid id problem?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dan20rhino

Reaction score
I bought a pair of cichlids about 3 weeks ago they look like the same family as the rams but i know there are many varieties of ram cichlids.

Ok my fish are currently an inch in length, they have turquiose shine to them along with yellow. On the top fin they have a blue line across the top of it and turquoise spots. Ive also noticed under the chin region there is an orange patch.
Across the eye they have a small balck stripe and just behind the eye region they have a black spot mark. Also around the mouth and lip area they have a turquiose line.

Any know the species or where i might be able to find out about these fish? :)

no its not the bolivian ram it has more of a golden yellow on the body and turquoise.

Is it the same shape as the Bolivian Ram or the normal Ram.

If it's the same, it will just be a colour var.
If not were looking at an apisto

Yep it is the same shape, probably a colour variety then you reckon?

Which one the Bolivain or the normal ram? ;)

Yes there is only the two. There completely diffrent (you can see by the details in the fish index) They will be the same fish but just a diffrent colour. So still come under the same latin name. But instead of the Blue ram, you get a Yellow ram etc. 8)

:) Described like Microgeophagus ramirezi the blue ram. There are a few colour morphs of this fish depending on where they were bred. ;) Mac.

Thanks for your help ive found the species in a book.
Its an Egyptian mouthbrooder Pseudocrenilabrus multicolour, have you heard much about these? :D

:( Well **** me , how wrong can you be!! Not even from the same continent! Dan I got lulled into a false sense of security when you described the cheek stripe, which is typical of south american dwarfs. Never mind you now have an id for your fish. :thumbs: Mac.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back