Cichlid Colors With Age?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jcabs100

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have 14 different species of African Cichlids some are from Tanganeyke, some are Malawis, and some are Mbunas. They all get along perfectly. They are juveniles around the 2" mark my tank is a 55 gallon sand and rocks scape, with a filtration for a 75 gallon tank. I have 2 question.......

1) Can I add more?

2) I have some dull colored fish and some that are brightly colored. For example i have a yellow, blue, and red malawi that their colors don't really show, they have specs of yellow, specs of red, and specs of blue. Is it because they are juveniles? Will their colors come with age?

My full list is
4 Malawis: 1 blue 1 yellow and 2 red
1 spotted Fuelliborni
1 tanganeyki (I want to say it's Compressiceps Cichlid not 100% sure)
2 mainganos
1 (what the store described as bumble bee cichlid)
1 albino mbuna
1 orange mbuna
1 yellow lab

I believe that's it.

Where to start....... Malawi is a lake in Africa where all of these fish are found, not a species of fish. Except the Tang which is found in Lake Tanganyika. Also Mbuna are the type of fish as are Haps and Peacocks. Mixing the lakes is usually not a good idea because of differing needs of the fish. So, other than the Yellow Lab, Mainganos, Fuelleborni, and possible Pseudo. crabro(bumble bee), the rest are not identifiable species so need to find out what they are to know if you can get more. The Bumble Bee and the Fuelleborni will be around 7-8" full grown so they will be pretty big for a 55gal. Try to find out exactly what the other fish are. Post some pics if you can.

Yes there color will with age and to there surroundings i had a yellow kenyi cichlid with blue gravel and blue back ground and his fins turned blue hope i helped Good Luck With Your Tank ! =)

Well I think you can add a few more I have in my tank an 80gallon
Yellow labs x6
Hongi red top x5
Demasoni x3
Albino socolofi x3
Saulosi x2
Tropheus firecracker x3
Peacocks red x3
Blue x2
Orange x1
Yellow x1
Pink x1
3 featherfin catfish
All the fish are bout 2 an half inches...
None of them will grow over 5 inches though...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back