Chinese algae eater starving to death

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

FishBazzar

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was told that chinses algae eaters nearly always starve to death. Is there any way to solve this problem? How about plecos and ottos? Wouldn't the use of algae tablets fix the problem?

I can't say I've ever heard of that problem, but that doesn't mean it's not common. I have a CAE and he's certainly not starving, nor is he a picky eater. He does spend a fair bit of time cleaning up around the tank, and although I can't say there's any visible algae, I'm sure he's still finding some. I usually drop a couple of 'algae discs' and a few shrimp pellets in there in the evening when I feed the tank. I know that there are quite a few fish in the community who enjoy nibbling at the algae wafers, but I presume he eats some, too. There are six cories in that tank, as well. I really don't know who eats what after lights out, but there's never a trace of food left in the mornings. I have a 15 gallon tank almost ready for the CAE to take over as his new bachelor pad, so I guess I'll find out exactly what he's been eating once he's the only fish in a tank!

Edit - I have a pleco in another tank...there are yo yo and skunk loaches in that his tank, too. They also get algae discs and shrimp pellets. I should also add that the CAE, as with all my fish, also gets foods like bloodworm, brine shrimp, and loads of fresh veggies. I have otos in my guppy tank, and they get a piece of an algae wafer or a couple of shrimp pellets. They seem to eat both.

Most reactions

Back