Chicken And Mushroom Pie

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Miss Wiggle

Practically perfect in every way
Reaction score
fancy cooking it tonight, not done homemade pie before, anyone got a good receipe?

thanks

Hi Miss Wiggle,
Here's a recipe I use:

Pastry:
8oz plain flour, sieved
4oz margarine
pinch of salt
water

Add salt to the flour into a bowl. Rub margarine into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Pour in water gradually, stirring the mix with a knife until it comes together. Using your hands roll pastry into a ball, make sure it's not to moist or dry, it should have an elasticy texture. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for half an hour or so.

Filling:
Chicken breasts, diced or in chunks
Mushrooms, sliced
Peas (optional)
Mixed herbs/spices (optional)
Stock or gravy

Fry the chicken off for about 5-10 mins then add the mushrooms. Cook for a further 2 mins. Add peas or any veg of your choice and cook for a further 5 mins.

Roll out pastry for base and top. Wipe the tin round with margarine to prevent the pastry from sticking. Line your tin with the pastry. For best results cook the pastry blind to prevent the bottom from going soggy. To do this, once you've lined youtr tin with the pastry put some greaseproof paper in the tin moulding the shape and covering all the pastry. Use some baking beans or flour and empty on top of the paper to make sure the base is all flat. Cook in the oven on Gas Mark 7/220C for about 10 mins or ubtil the pastry is golden.
Remove from oven and discard paper and flour (beans can be kept). Fill with the chicken mixture and cover with a nice thick chicken stock or gravy. Place pastry lid on and seal edges with beaten egg or milk. Use this to glaze the top and cook in the oven for about 30 mins or until golden.
Serve with boiled potatoes and veg.

Enjoy!!!!

sounds good, i thought i'd do it with a creamy sauce, just gonna make it up as i go along as i'm feeling adventurous today!

my basic thoughts are

cook onions and garlic off for a few misn in a pan, remove and put to one side, cook off chicken and shroooms set to one side. de glaze the pan with white wine, pour in a load of cream, got tarragon and parsley, plus salt pepper and a chicken stock cube, cook off for a few mins, add chicken etc back to the pan, cook off for a few more minutes.

got ready made pastry... cheating i know :rolleyes: .... bake blind the bottom, fill with mix, add top of pastry cook it for half an hr or so, serve with mashed potatoes and green beans

probably change that a bit as i cook but i reckon it'll work! :D

Sounds great! Creamy sauce will definitely be a lot nicer.
As for the pastry, if I can't be bothered I tend to use the ready made!
Let us know how you get on. :)

not done a homemade pie before so i thought i'd take it one step at a time and sort out the filling first then work on pastry later!

:D

i'll let you know how it goes down later!

well i did it as i said above but also added a squidge of tomatoe puree to the filling, it was really really yummy. was very impressed. only bit i wasn't happy with was the shop bought pastry, will make my own next time :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back