changing gravel to sand

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

kenneth_kpe

Lider op da pises.
Reaction score
i want to change my gravel substrate into a much much much much finer white sand substrate, ( looks better too ) what should i remember ? i dont have another tank :( only one. and im using a medium planted tank. im afraid that if i change the gravel my fishies might die due to stress :( im really worried about my otto :)

hello

I really recommend getting either another small tank or a large bucket to move your fish into while you change. i changed my substrate a few weeks ago and just the stress of having their environment changed round p****d them off for a few day so I don't even wanna think what state they'd have been in if I'd changed the substrate while they were still in the tank.

I removed my plants by following the roots through the gravel rather than ripping them straight out to avoid damaging the root systems. My crypts have melted anyway :X but the rest seem ok...

my best advice is to plan everything very carefully before you start, you don't wanna be there with all your fish in a bucket then realise you vitally need something you haven't got. and I don't mean to sound patronising but are you 100% certain you want white sand? I'm using sand-coloured sand and even compared to the gravel it washes the fishes' colours out pretty bad, I wish I'd gone with black.

Theres a thread of useful advice here if you care to have a read:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=58874&hl=

and a few of pictures of my tank mid-switch:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=59432&hl=

I hope that helps a little

good luck!

thanks everybody :) il try to read em all and plan my gravel changing carefully. and yes i kinda want sand because its really really fine. but maybe your right. :)

er ?? coz it looks nice ?? hmm i think theres a bad side to fine sand... maybe i should just stick with my gravel now ? : )

sand is good, but a lot of people prefer slightly coarser sand eg pool filter sand to extra fine sand, cos it doesn't pack down so much...

anywho my original point was about the colour, not the grain size ;)

Most reactions

Back