Changing From One Tank To Another

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
6,367
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
GB
I have got myself a bit of a problem. I have bought a rio 400 for my pleco's, but I have a very small house. I have a dilema there is no way I can set up the tank where I want it because of all the other tanks and leave it to cycle. I want to transfer everything from the rio 300 to the 400 (filters and the fish). Would I have problems if I just move everything (including the water) from one tank to the other?
 
So long as your using the same filter, or transferring the current filter media into the new filter, you are completely fine to move the fish straight over, I wouldnt even worry about using the same water myself, so long as its the same temp, its likely the ph will be same too as its the same tap water your using, but you can move some of the water if you like, just to imitate a large water change.

Just dont add extra fish too quickly, same as you would normally to allow bacteria to catch up with waste load, keep an eye on the stats, in case any bacteria is lose in the move (unlikely but does happen) and continue as normal.
 
I have got myself a bit of a problem. I have bought a rio 400 for my pleco's, but I have a very small house. I have a dilema there is no way I can set up the tank where I want it because of all the other tanks and leave it to cycle. I want to transfer everything from the rio 300 to the 400 (filters and the fish). Would I have problems if I just move everything (including the water) from one tank to the other?

Woulnd't bothr transfering the water, as long as the new water is dechlorinated. Yeah you can jsut change the filters heaters... over and all will be well, MAKE SURE ITS DECHLORINATED lol

and make sure the water is the right temp
 
shouldn't do as long as the filter media is kept wet, and you try and keep most of the original water to minimise teh stree put on the fish.
just get yourself some large vats to put the fish and water into. If needs be get the filter running on the vat as well.
Empty the old tank and move it. replace with new tank and fill.
 
sorry to hi-jack

i guess what kills the bacteria in the tap water is the chlorine?

That and chloramines, also a very sudden change to very cold water would cause bacteria to die back too.
 
Oh Brill news, cheers everyone what a relief. The only way to get this done is to swap it all over in one day. I am not really planning on having anything else in with Jethroe, Gibbs & Ziva (Jethroe & Gibbs are the big plecs Ziva is a small pleco but a meanie, she bullies other fish and has killed small tetras!) but with fish nothing ever goes to plan lol.

I have a bit of a mamoth task, because as soon as the rio 300 is empty I want to transfer my 4ft community tank into it, then the contents of a 3ft tank into the 4ft. Its going to be fun!!
 
Oh Brill news, cheers everyone what a relief. The only way to get this done is to swap it all over in one day. I am not really planning on having anything else in with Jethroe, Gibbs & Ziva (Jethroe & Gibbs are the big plecs Ziva is a small pleco but a meanie, she bullies other fish and has killed small tetras!) but with fish nothing ever goes to plan lol.

I have a bit of a mamoth task, because as soon as the rio 300 is empty I want to transfer my 4ft community tank into it, then the contents of a 3ft tank into the 4ft. Its going to be fun!!

wouldn't be an NCIS theme going on there is there?
 
I LOVE that program, I need a Tony, Timmy, Ducky and Abby to go with them. lol.

It came about because Gibbs is a Gibbicep so the other names just followed lol
 
yeh its a big job mate, i've done it many times with my breeding setup but its well worth it once you'v given your fish a better home, i dont know if it helps much but i always transfer 50% of the old water into the new tank, that way you dont give the fish ph or kh shock, i also turn the lights off the new tank for 24 hours to help relieve the stress. I hope you've ate your spinach :lol:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top