Changing filters

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Yuval5520

Reaction score
I didnt have my filter on for about 3 months and im about to buy another one?
What and how should i do it?

Hello. If your tank has been without a filter, then simply follow an aggressive water change routine. I don't have a filter in my 300 gallon tank. I just remove and replace half the water a couple of times a week. If you're not doing this then you need to slowly work up to it. Just start removing and replacing a little more water every time you perform a water change. Water changes should be done every few days.

Hello. If your tank has been without a filter, then simply follow an aggressive water change routine. I don't have a filter in my 300 gallon tank. I just remove and replace half the water a couple of times a week. If you're not doing this then you need to slowly work up to it. Just start removing and replacing a little more water every time you perform a water change. Water changes should be done every few days.

So should i go on a no filter thing?

Hello again. Here's what I think. If you change the tank water often enough, you don't need a filter. My tanks get at least a 50 percent water change every few days, so a filter in one of my tanks is just taking in clean water and putting it back into the tank. Water that's changed this often remains high in oxygen, so you don't need the splashing action of the filter. The water change is the true filter, not the mechanical gizmo. But remember, you have to change at least half the tank water every few days, no excuses.

Hello again. Here's what I think. If you change the tank water often enough, you don't need a filter. My tanks get at least a 50 percent water change every few days, so a filter in one of my tanks is just taking in clean water and putting it back into the tank. Water that's changed this often remains high in oxygen, so you don't need the splashing action of the filter. The water change is the true filter, not the mechanical gizmo. But remember, you have to change at least half the tank water every few days, no excuses.

i mean... i didnt change water for a month or so and it did great, - other than the plants cause nitrate was 0 (Probably because the floaters)....
Also, can i use fertilizer on no filter?

Me again. Water that stays in a tank too long will change. There's a process called "oxidation" that means the chemicals that are in water will change in the presence of oxygen. By changing out a lot of water and doing this every few days, you maintain a steady water chemistry. This and a bit of food given to them every couple of days, is all the fish need for good health.

I didnt have my filter on for about 3 months and im about to buy another one?
What and how should i do it?
Even nitrate was 0 , you'd better add a filter just put some spong or filter cotton to filter poop ,which is enough for your tank.

Most reactions

Back