Changing Filter

scoloujo

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 13, 2008
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Rochester,Kent
I have just purchased a new eheim classic external filter. I currently have an interpet internal one and was wondering what to do about setting it up. I know I have to run it alongside the old one but for how long and will it cause my tank to cycle? most of my fish are quite hardy but I have recently got a otocinclus and know they can be very sensitive to water changes.

Current stock:
2 Long finned leopard danio
2 long finned zebra danio
4 guppies
4 platies
3 neon sharktails
2 borneo suckers
1 Otocinclus

Thanks for any assistance you can give.
 
I have just purchased a new eheim classic external filter. I currently have an interpet internal one and was wondering what to do about setting it up. I know I have to run it alongside the old one but for how long and will it cause my tank to cycle? most of my fish are quite hardy but I have recently got a otocinclus and know they can be very sensitive to water changes.

Current stock:
2 Long finned leopard danio
2 long finned zebra danio
4 guppies
4 platies
3 neon sharktails
2 borneo suckers
1 Otocinclus

Thanks for any assistance you can give.


Ello mate

you can leave it running for about 2weeks it will be fine mate, then you can take your old one out

hope it hleps

tom
 
You could just put the media from your interpet internal into the eheim external and do away with having to run them side by side. That's what I do when I change filters :).
 
You could just put the media from your interpet internal into the eheim external and do away with having to run them side by side. That's what I do when I change filters :).


Thats what I did with mine when I swapped from an internal to the external.
 
I'm still a bit of a nervous newbie(only 6 months) so I think I'll run them side by side and see how I get on. Thank you for all the advice.
 
sorry if I'm being a bit silly but do I just Squidge the media in next to the same bits in the new one i.e carbon together and blue together? Do i fill the new filter with tank water or dechlor tap water? Cant set up till tomorrow now need to drill holes in cupboard! and hubby is busy watching top gear!
 
Unless you want to be removing medication, I would take the carbon out of your new filter and replace it with the mature media from your interpet. Carbon is a bit of a waste of space IMO, best save it for when it's needed (like some kind of contaminants getting in the tank). It run out of it's ability to adsorb in typically a couple of days or less, so for it to be much good you would need to change it over when it runs out.


Doesn't matter if you fill the new filter with dechlor tap water or old tank water, but if you are going to be putting your mature internal filter media in it, it would would be safer to use tank water just in case the stats are different :good:.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top