Centrepiece/main Attraction Tropical Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ajg6128

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 65L tropical aquarium set up, I'm looking for a good fish to act as a main attraction but don't know where to begin, was hoping for suggestions for any of you more experienced fish carers and enthusiasts!

I currently have a small school of 6 guppies but don't want to increase the number of fish as I'd like to see the options available to me.

Thankyou in advance for any responses!

If you could post your source water parameters (GH, pH) it will assist members in suggesting options.
fish.gif

Thanks for the information

Ph levels are 7.5

Asides from that I can't provide much information except water temp being set for 26 degrees as still a fairly new established tank and just querying into the possibilities there is based on members experience as fish shops near me tend not to know much about their stock (usually just big companies selling bulk to anyone with money)

You could see if your municipal water authority has a website.  It may give some data on the water, and GH (general hardness) is very important.  No need to get test kits for GH , as once you know it, it is not going to alter much in the aquarium.

This is a relatively small tank, at 65 litres (close to 20 US gallons), and this means that smallish fish will often be wild caught and thus their water preferences need to be respected.  The GH affects fish even more than the pH, provided the latter is stable and not too extreme for the species.

From what I have read from other UK members, some fish store staff there are as uninformed as many are here in NA so you are wise to not rely on their advice when it comes to fish species and stocking.  Members here will be ready to offer suggestions.

Byron.

Thankyou for this advice. Already got full testing kit on its way so I can measure everything needed. Will repost at later date with full information on water quality.

I really need to get myself some testing solution for GH. But on Amazon it's an add-on item...
Anyways, I would say be careful with the fish you choose to mix with guppies. Guppies can be nippy fish, at least from my experience...

Given that Guppies are typically a fish that swims at a higher level, do you want something to be mid level or bottom instead?

Yeah ideally, I'll check out those mentioned above!

Gourami again are typically a higher level fish.

Perhaps consider Dwarf Neon Rainbows but please make sure they are suited to your water conditions.

The issue there is tank size. It's only a 65l, already with 6 guppies in. DNRs are shoaling.

The problem with high pH is that generally you also get high KH and GH, meaning there's usually lots of dissolved minerals in the water. This would really limit you to fish that like hard water - the common livebearers and rainbows.

I would say pick your favourite colour-strain of platy.

Softwater fish usually fare better in hardwater than hardwater fish fare in softwater, so you could look at Gouramis, but these have long trailing fins, which the guppies may take a nip at. There isn't really much else that's small enough to go in your tank that you could describe as a "centrepiece".

Killifish?
Glassfish? Not too big, slightly odd ball so a great centerpiece. Can be kept in small groups. Works with your ph
Killifish can be species only tanks, but I kept a golden wonder killi with half a dozen platy with not a single issue. Not sure if it would be right for your tank, just trying to brainstorm

I've got two blind cave fish (wife's choice)

the_lock_man said:
The issue there is tank size. It's only a 65l, already with 6 guppies in. DNRs are shoaling.

The problem with high pH is that generally you also get high KH and GH, meaning there's usually lots of dissolved minerals in the water. This would really limit you to fish that like hard water - the common livebearers and rainbows.

I would say pick your favourite colour-strain of platy.

Softwater fish usually fare better in hardwater than hardwater fish fare in softwater, so you could look at Gouramis, but these have long trailing fins, which the guppies may take a nip at. There isn't really much else that's small enough to go in your tank that you could describe as a "centrepiece".

Yeah you're right there, at least six would be required.

I think options are pretty limited.  How about a centrepiece that's not a fish?  Maybe a couple of bamboo shrimp?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back