Centrepiece fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lee171181

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for a standout centrepiece fish to go in my Juwel 125 tank & was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what to get?

we currently have a mix of danios, harlequins, corys, tetras, rams & plecs & am looking for a slightly larger, colourful standout fish as the centrepiece of the tank. It needs to be something that will get along with all of the above, but also want something more unusual & not just run of the mill normal fish.

Also looking for some advice of where to buy some different fish, as have been round about half a dozen of my LFS & they all just seem to have the same fish so don’t know where I would go to get something out of the ordinary?

TIA

how many fish have you got? as you dont want to over populate the tank. have you checked how big the plec gets as they are normally quite large

how many fish have you got? as you dont want to over populate the tank. have you checked how big the plec gets as they are normally quite large
Currently 20-25 fish, plecs are only bristlenose so shouldn’t get too big hopefully.

See I would regard the rams you already have as centrepiece, but I would be really interested in other ideas people would have, that presumebley are bigger and better. The challenge is something that won't upset the Rams or decide the Rams are a threat. You probably don't have the space for angels. I want to suggest some kind of Gourami - but I would worry they would clash with the Rams.... if they would be fine.... I almost want to try that combination myself.

Before considering more (different) fish, it would be advisable to deal with the present stock, as I see some possible issues depending.

First question, what are the water parameters? Parameters refers to GH, KH, pH and temperature; ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are conditions not parameters, just to be clear. GH and pH are especially relevant, temperature obviously one can deal with.

Which brings me to the rams...which species?

And, how many of each species do you have? This is important because some of these mentioned are shoaling fish and need a group, so adding more to make them more "comfortable" before anything new may be involved.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back