Cat Pooping Blood...help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shi24137

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok, so first thing in the morning I am calling my vet bc this is the 2nd time I have found bright red blood in my cats poop, I have noticed that he has been extra clingy lately and only to me, so as I was cleaning the litter box about 3 days ago I found poop with blood in it, it was darker so I thought ok, maybe it's from his food or something, so I've been checking the litter box every day and no bloody poop, I just went to check it a minute ago and found bright red blood and more this time, so I took a picture to show my vet tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or been through this so I know what to expect when I talk to my vet. Any advice or stories would be welcome, I'm at a loss, I've had cats for years but never had this problem before...

Cant say I have experienced this before, but from memory when people have blood in their stools the Dr's only really get worried if its dark blood as that means its come from deeper inside the body, where as bright red blood means its closer to the anus and possibly a hemroid thats bled a bit.

By all means take the cat to the vet and take a sample of the cats droppings in with you that way they can do some microscope smears and also check for any internal parasties.

Also how old is your cat and is he desexed? At what age was he desexed? I know some male cats when neutered young can develop uretha/ bladder problems especially if they develop kidney stones in later life.
Hope your cat gets better

hi shi, I hope he feels better soon. I know of a pets forum that has served me well, I'll PM you the details if you find you want to get their opinions.

I've done some reading up and some possibilities are internal parasites, cancer, ulcers, colon damage, food allergy, or infection. I'm thinking it's a parasite bc the lady I got him from didn't know how to take care of him and her house had bugs all over it. I guess you can say I really saved him. He was under-weight when I got him and is now putting on weight, which is why I don't think it's cancer, usually with cancer or something serious like that he would be losing weight.

I've done some reading up and some possibilities are internal parasites, cancer, ulcers, colon damage, food allergy, or infection. I'm thinking it's a parasite bc the lady I got him from didn't know how to take care of him and her house had bugs all over it. I guess you can say I really saved him. He was under-weight when I got him and is now putting on weight, which is why I don't think it's cancer, usually with cancer or something serious like that he would be losing weight.

obviously it could be a number of things but lack of proper nutrition at a early age can cause colitis when the animal finally gets fed properly, my dog has colitis and i have to be very carefull what he eats,or he poos just blood, its quite frightening to see, what is your cats poo like soft, runny, jelly like or hard?

I hope your cat is doing better. One of my cats had bloody poop last year. It was just an infection and it cleared up upon seeing the vet and getting medication.

Im sorry to hear about your kitty. I wish I had some advice that I could give, but I have never had an issue like this with my cats. Keep us posted and I will keep my fingers crossed that everything is okay with the little guy!

he is doing much better, the vet said it was a parasite, they treated him and he is doing MUCH better!!! Thank you all for your support!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back