Can you keep acros with soft corals?

pomme

Reaction score
Can you keep acros with soft corals?

hi i have got a soft coral tank with muchrooms, polyps, pulse coral, plate coral, trumpet coral etc......

is it alright to put a acro frag in here or would i have to take out all the soft corals?

i just heard somewhere i might have to because of chemical warfare?

thanx andrew

this is a contraversial topic. I believe that you can keep acros with softies but dont expect great growth etc. I have about 15 acros in my reef with a couple of mushrooms, a large toadstool leather and a large finger leather. all mine are good and growing well. if your tank is crowded with softies, then you may have problems. i would say the best thing to do is have it 95% hard with 5% soft or visa-versa. I would just get a frag and see how it goes. you wil also need a high calcium level and strong lighting as well as good water flow.

you mention you have plate and trumpet coral, the trumpet is a LPS coral (hard) and thre plate coral sounds like it is also a hard coral.

chemical warfare may well happen. try and keep pleanty of distance between them. also, if you want to go into sps, try hydnophora, this is one of the easyest and is very agressive so should be ok in a softie tank.

yeah knew they were hard but was told by retailer could put them in as soon as the tank was set-up, i think i was got :sad: , but they have been doing very well :p .

i will now also start to run carbon for a few days a month from now on, and what would you recomend as a good calcium level for sps?

I would keep the calcium at 450. if you have a lot of sps, then you may need a calcium reactor in the future. if you run carbon, then only use it for the first 3 days of every month and then chuck it.

cool i was thinking of getting a calcium rector but the only problem is there is no room in the cabinet :( , so i may have to do it another way :X .

thanx for the advice, andrew

I wouldn't try putting any frags in with your soft corals. Most soft corals are extremely toxic to sps and it would probably just kill it with the large variety you have in your tank.

Most reactions

Back