Can you change water TOO much?

Acclaimed

Reaction score
The black worms Ive been feeding the fish have been hanging out under the gravel. They are still alive because when I do a waterchange they are moving around in the bucket. My ammonia has jumped up to 1 either because of them, or because of the cycling is in full force.

I changed about 40% of the water yesterday and cut it down to .50, should I change the water again today or can a person change the water too much?

You can change as much water as you like as often as you like as long as it doesnt alter the water chemistry (pH and hardness). I would be changing 50% daily with a ammonia increase.

I agree on the frequent water changes. Are those worms pooping alot and adding to the waste and hence the ammonia levels? Just wondering. If some of them are dying and rotting that would also raise the ammonia levels. You could try something like Easy Balance to help balance the good bacteria levels in the tank short term but if somebody is pooping up a storm in there it won't solve the problem. Can you get a siphon right down into the gravel and vacuum up as many of those suckers as possible? I'm sure glad I feed freeze dried worms etc. I can't imagine the frustration of live worms all over. I've got enuf fun with guppy fry, snails(which I like)and coreys, ottos and tetras! And one Betta with major attitude. ;)

Changing water is fine just don`t remove too much bacteria i suggest doing half of one side of the tank for a period then 3-4 weeks later do the other half.

You can't remove the bacteria, just from syphoning the gravel , only dirt and waste that would cause decay and a rise in ammonia. How about adding a filter material such as ceramic cylinders , lave rock, bio chem stars, or bio balls to the filter chamber if possible, to create a larger surface for bacteria to grow and thrive. If bacteria is present it would not take long for them to spread to new media. In the mean time do water changes to control ammonia. I myself, do not depend on gravel for bio-filter .

As for the worms , Is their a bottom feeder that will eat these worms? I also would only use freeze dried worms.

Most reactions

Back