Can I keep Cory with small gravel?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I'm not sure Ian Fuller or @Byron agree with you about substrate.

On the contrary, there is no doubt that water quality and avoiding bacterial issues is very important, and the type of substrate does impact this too. The issue is providing what the fish "expect" so they will be healthier. If the cories cannot filter feed as in the video below, the substrate is not acceptable. If anyone wants to argue this, do so with the individuals in this hobby who without question know--Ian Fuller, Hans Georg Evers, Luis Tencatt, Marcello Britto, David Sands, etc,. I have always tried to learn from those who have the knowledge, as it seems the wisest path to success and healthy fish.

there is no doubt that water quality and avoiding bacterial issues is very important
It's obvious ! (I was just talking about Robmsc's eco complete substrate :

carib.jpg

I have heard they prefer sand, but I have pretty small gravel
View attachment 138495
(photo taken before filling tank)
Sand is ideal for Corydoras as they will sift through the substrate finding uneaten food. If you watch them eat and dig through the gravel you will actually see sand go through their gills. To keep their barbels long and healthy, then I'd advise sand. Sand is a natural substrate to their wild ancestors. Also, if you were a corydora would you rather lay on hard gravel rocks or soft smooth sand? These fish lay on the substrate to rest.

It is interesting that a google search asking if corydoras are filter feeders no where does it say they are. The articles all say that the barbals are used to flick pieces of food out of the substrate so they can eat it. I think the filter feeding idea is an urban myth

It is interesting that a google search asking if corydoras are filter feeders no where does it say they are. The articles all say that the barbals are used to flick pieces of food out of the substrate so they can eat it. I think the filter feeding idea is an urban myth

I have to be direct here, no one can trust anything they come across on the web unless they know the individual and know that he/she has the knowledge behind their views. Most of them do not. I accept evolution as true--I don't "believe" it, I accept it because it clearly is well proven fact; I accept the earth is spherical but I cannot prove it. As soon as we think we know more than individuals who have spent years in the field, we lose. I have been battling cancer, and my oncologist knows far more than the gypsy lady reading tea leaves at the county fair--yet people will follow such individuals.

On the contrary, there is no doubt that water quality and avoiding bacterial issues is very important, and the type of substrate does impact this too. The issue is providing what the fish "expect" so they will be healthier. If the cories cannot filter feed as in the video below, the substrate is not acceptable. If anyone wants to argue this, do so with the individuals in this hobby who without question know--Ian Fuller, Hans Georg Evers, Luis Tencatt, Marcello Britto, David Sands, etc,. I have always tried to learn from those who have the knowledge, as it seems the wisest path to success and healthy fish.

Best way to learn is to see corydoras in natural habitat for yourself.
(23 min in video)

I thought of doing another google search for "Filter feeding Freshwater Fish" . Nowhere are Cory's mentioned. In fact filter feeders are an interesting group of fish, sponges etc. I still believe that Cory's on take the sand into their mouths because their think it is food and then spits it out through their gills when they realize it isn't. We are most probably annoying them more than pleasing them by keeping them on sand.

Furthermore after a little more clarification, Cory's preferred food is worms and small Crustaceans nothing that needs filtering.

(23 min in video)

That said, author of the video shows what he wants to show : you can't see river's bottom in wide shots.

Yes, I agree with Itiwhetu. Please don't only feed these neat fish leftover food that they have to search for in the substrate. Feed them a variety of sinking meaty pellets, daphnia, frozen brine shrimp, and their favorite frozen bloodworms.
I have 10 Corydoras which I feed them very well. I have fifteen different food products and brands that I rotate for variety. My Cory Cats STILL sift through my sand substrate.(I said sift not filter). They choose to do this on their own accord. If it bothered them frankly I don't think they'd do it. If they showed signs of irritated gills then I'd change my substrate.
Honestly, it's YOUR FISH. Pick what substrate you want your Corydoras laying on.

This is a good example to note yhat Cories don't filter eat (nothing go through gills) and don't dig using their barbels.

(23 min in video)

This particular video has been pointed out to me previously, and it most assuredly does not support what is being alleged by some in this discussion. There is sand throughout that substrate, along with pebbles, but there is still sand.

You are not going to find videos of natural habitats where cories live over a substrate that is not sand, or includes sand, or is mud. Because they do not exist.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back