Can I Keep A Betta With Shrimp?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AmyStardust

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hiya!

I currently have 2 Platy's and 4 Ghost shrimp!

I did want to get some Neon Tetra's to go with them but my tank is too small (5G) and I don't want to be cruel... :sad:

So I'm thinking of investing in either a Betta or maybe 1 or 2 Guppies... :good:

Will they mix with my existing fish though?? :unsure:

If there is no room for neon tetra there probably isnt room for a betta.
You would be better off getting another tank if you want a betta. But yes shrimp can be kept with bettas I used to keep the amano algae shrimp with mine. I did have bumble bee and cherry shrimp but my betta ate them as they are so tiny and he LOVED brine shrimp. Its probably dependant some bettas are very tolerant. Some wont put up with anything at all in their domain.

Ditto what wilson has said.
It really just depends on the betta. Some will tolerate shrimp, while others will find them as a tasty snack.
I would not put a betta in that tank though. I wouldn't put anything else in there to be honest. Maybe some more shrimp, but that's it.

See, this is where MTS (multiple tank syndrome) starts heh.... You get your first tank, want more fish but have no room, so you get a slightly bigger one, want more fish, so get another tank and another and another...... oh yes... it will happen.... heh

It's true.. and when tanks become available to you for free... it's really hard to turn them away. They just keep multiplying!

Hey, I've got all my fighters with amano shrimp, cherry shrip, pigmy corydoras, or apple snails ^^ lots of choice for them to go chasing after, but nothing been eaten in my tanks so far *fingers crossed* Fred seems quite content with all of the above in with him, and they give him good excersie too :)

I recon you will be fine with a betta in there bud. Providing your tank is shaped around the betta, not the betta shaped around the tank. In other words, making sure your filtration is not very strong and what not. Its always a gamble with shrimp, but I have never had any problems (with my three bettas and their shrimp friends).

I recon you will be fine with a betta in there bud. Providing your tank is shaped around the betta, not the betta shaped around the tank. In other words, making sure your filtration is not very strong and what not. Its always a gamble with shrimp, but I have never had any problems (with my three bettas and their shrimp friends).

Really?! :D

The shrimp are pretty sizable so I don't think they'd become lunch?! Lol! :p

I just want to try to work out what would be best so I can prep my little boy before telling him what he can and can't have - and I certainly don't want to add fish that are going to become stressed in our small tank... ;)

i know ppl that keep bettas with shrimp no probs its down to the betta i think
scot

I really would not recommend putting another fish in to that tank. There is not enough room to give the fish and the shrimp space for themselves.
Also are the platy males? Or is one or both female? If either are female, you can bet you'll have fry in no time, so again, tank isn't big enough for another fish.
Plus the betta might become aggressive with the platy or the platy might find the betta's tail a good nip target.

The tank is at the limit for stocking with fish. You need to either set up another separate tank for the platies and put the betta in with the shrimp ( It should be fine as they are there first and not imposing on an established territory ) Or set up a separate tank for the betta by himself.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back