Can I add more fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Oh, wow! Thank you. I will start with upping the glowlights to 12-15, give the tank time to adjust, and me time to figure out if I want more of the same or perhaps 20 or so cardinals (or something else peaceful and about the same size).

I also considered rummy nose tetras because they are so pretty, but I watched some videos of them and they seem to constantly race back and forth across the tank. I think that would stress out the pearls, wouldn't you think? I wonder if they do that all the time or just once a day or something? I know it is supposed to look cool, but it makes me wonder if they are trying to get out (which would make me sad, not relaxed).

I have pondered the activity of rummynose tetra myself. I like this fish, and I have had the "Brilliant" Rummynose (species is Hemigrammus bleheri; the original rummy, Hemigrammus rhodostomus is never seen now) continually for many years. I've also had the false rummynose, Petitella georgiae, for a few years now; this one is less intense colour, rarer to find, and grows a tad larger. I only have a few, so they are in with their cousins and the two species remain in a relatively tight shoal as they swim through the tank. They are more active swimmers than say the Rosy Tetra, cardinal, glowlight, etc, but having said that they remain in the lower third of the water (generally), and swim as a shoal, which is a lovely sight. In my view though this needs a 4-foot tank minimum, in smaller (shorter) tanks they seem "at odds" in a sense.

The swimming back and forth is normal for this species; I have seen them do this in very large tanks, and I have observed videos of them in their habitat waters behaving exactly the same. It is the most tightly shoaling characin, but it does need the length (4-feet minimum) to really show off its beauty.

Given your incredibly planted 4-foot tank, and the water level preference of the rummys and Pearls, I would not advise against the rummys if you like them. Make sure you get at least 12, but this is minimum and it would be better to go with 15 up to 20 here. I had 21 in my 5-foot tank initially, having lost a few to old age now some 7-8 years later, but they were lovely all along. I recently acquired a couple groups of new fish to keep the shoal around 15, as I have them in my 70g now. I've had this species in with sedate fish like hatchets, Bolivian Ram, and other more quiet characins, and there has never been an issue.

Byron.

I have pondered the activity of rummynose tetra myself. I like this fish, and I have had the "Brilliant" Rummynose (species is Hemigrammus bleheri; the original rummy, Hemigrammus rhodostomus is never seen now) continually for many years. I've also had the false rummynose, Petitella georgiae, for a few years now; this one is less intense colour, rarer to find, and grows a tad larger. I only have a few, so they are in with their cousins and the two species remain in a relatively tight shoal as they swim through the tank. They are more active swimmers than say the Rosy Tetra, cardinal, glowlight, etc, but having said that they remain in the lower third of the water (generally), and swim as a shoal, which is a lovely sight. In my view though this needs a 4-foot tank minimum, in smaller (shorter) tanks they seem "at odds" in a sense.

The swimming back and forth is normal for this species; I have seen them do this in very large tanks, and I have observed videos of them in their habitat waters behaving exactly the same. It is the most tightly shoaling characin, but it does need the length (4-feet minimum) to really show off its beauty.

Given your incredibly planted 4-foot tank, and the water level preference of the rummys and Pearls, I would not advise against the rummys if you like them. Make sure you get at least 12, but this is minimum and it would be better to go with 15 up to 20 here. I had 21 in my 5-foot tank initially, having lost a few to old age now some 7-8 years later, but they were lovely all along. I recently acquired a couple groups of new fish to keep the shoal around 15, as I have them in my 70g now. I've had this species in with sedate fish like hatchets, Bolivian Ram, and other more quiet characins, and there has never been an issue.

Byron.

Thank you for your thoughts and experience on this. I worry about animals and whether or not they are happy. If they do that back and forth thing in the wild too, then I guess it is just natural for them and not that they are desperately seeking a way out of their tanks.

As you saw from my other panicked post, I ended up getting 20 cardinal tetras. I was so indecisive that I asked my husband for his opinion and he loved the cardinals. He called them "Patriots fish." (Yes, for the New England Patriots :rolleyes:). Hey, whatever gets him more interested, right? Ha ha! Maybe he's thinking this will make me more interested in football - not a chance!! :no:

As we're talking about the rummys, I though you and others might enjoy a couple videos. The first is a video of one of the natural habitats of Paracheirodon axelrodi (cardinal) and the false rummy, Petitella georgia. This habitat is in the Rio Negro basin. You can see how the cardinals stand out.

The second is a short video of Heiko Bleher sitting in a stream, with his namesake fish Hemigrammus bleheri all around him. Heiko is a remarkable individual, who discovered this fish (Gery and Manhert 1987 named it after Heiko) and over 6000 other new species in his several decades of exploring and collecting, many of the areas never having seen humans before Heiko.

He called them "Patriots fish." (Yes, for the New England Patriots :rolleyes:). Hey, whatever gets him more interested, right?
That's funny.

The first is a video of one of the natural habitats of Paracheirodon axelrodi (cardinal) and the false rummy, Petitella georgia. This habitat is in the Rio Negro basin. You can see how the cardinals stand out.
Great videos. I love the first one! Seeing them in their natural surroundings acting as they should. I too wondered about the rummys with their spastic behavior ....glad to see it's just in their dna.
And wow...the cardinals are light little christmas lights under water!

That's funny.

This morning he actually was interested to see the fish! Of course, the lights hadn't come on yet (timer) but he was peering into the dark tank to see which he was going to call Tom Brady and which Belichick. :rofl:

This morning he actually was interested to see the fish! Of course, the lights hadn't come on yet (timer) but he was peering into the dark tank to see which he was going to call Tom Brady and which Belichick. :rofl:
well, if he can tell them apart...he might actually be paying tooooo much attention to them! haha

Most reactions

Back