Can Fish/shrimp Have Strokes?

RedeyesUK

Fish Crazy
Joined
May 29, 2008
Messages
215
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Warwickshire, UK
Strange question I know, but is it possible?

I got home from work on Friday, and found one of my amano shrimp lying on her side at the bottom of the tank, not moving. :( Assuming she was on her last legs, I took her out and put her in a QT tank, and figured she'd be dead by the morning.
It now seems she's recovered from whatever it was, and is back up and running again - except she seems to have lost all coordination. She jumps around the tank, bumps into things, and occasionally falls on her side, and struggles to right herself again.

In human terms, that's a pretty good indicator of a stroke or some sort of brain damage, but can something as basic as a shrimp suffer from something like this?

Just wondering, is all. :)
 
Fish can suffer from strokes but not sure about shrimp.
Also internal parasites can cause brain damage.
What are your water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
 
Thanks Wilder.

Not really looking for a diagnosis as such - was more of a curiousity thing really.

But since you asked, the shrimp in question is quite old (absolute minimum 2.5 years) and had just (the previous day) hatched a batch of eggs. Ammonia etc was non-existant, as I was changing water twice daily, she was in a tank to herself. I guess the stress of it all was too much!

But, she seems to be getting much better now, it's just the coordination thing I'm wondering about.
 
Dosn't sound right to me even though I know nothing about shrimp.
She shouldn't be falling around and bumping into things.
 
My shrimp did a similar thing for a while was because it had struggled during molting and its legs had not developed enough to be able to hold the full weight of the shrimp caused it to be completely uncoordinated for about 3 days then suddenly seemed to get better.
 
Hmm, that might be it - she has now (well, yesterday) moulted, although she was having trouble before that. Maybe that was causing her difficulties?
I'll keep an eye on her, and keep her in QT for the next few days to see if she improves.
 
Slightly off topic - but my Hamster had a stroke. (no funny comments to do with stroking the hamster please!) Found her next to the running wheel all collapsed on one side poor monster. Was okay after a while but personality had changed.

I wonder - Fish that have strokes, do they swim round in circles? :fish:
 
Found this info.

Anything that has blood flow is able to have a stroke, because a stroke is simply a blockage leading to a lack of oxygenated blood reaching any given area of the brain, causing necrosis of brain tissue.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top