Can Fish Have Strokes?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lilfishie

Its a kinda MAGIC!! ^_^
Reaction score
is it possible for fish to have strokes?

i think my Panda Cory has had one. he only has one gill moving and can only move his tail to one side as a result of this keeps ending up on his side :( he does right himself after a while. anything i can do for him?

Can't say I have ever heard of fish having strokes although I guess it is possible, or even a burst blood vessel in the brain like an anurysm or could have had a nasty bump to the head. My only other guess would be a bacterial infectton that has affected its motor skills. But again this is all just guessing. A hospital tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic might be the best course of action. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hi Baccus, thanks for the reply, will defo stick some meds in as there still in QT only had them a few days. If i have the right 1 (11 in total so hard to get the same one all the time :lol:) he seems to be coping better today, still not full movement but he doesn't seem as dopy so to speak

I've never heard of fish strokes. Hmm..

Of course it is possible. Fish have blood, and blood does sometimes clot where it isn't supposed to. It probably isn't documented very well -- who really goes to the trouble of necropsy on a fish -- but it certainly is in the realm of possibility.

or even a burst blood vessel in the brain like an anurysm or could have had a nasty bump to the head.

I came home once and discovered one of my juvenile guppies swimming around in corkscrew patterns. There was a red dot near or on his brain if you looked closely. I always assumed it was a burst blood vessel. Shortly after I discovered this he was eaten by my rainbow shark. Never saw my shark try and consume another fish before; bully them yes but never eat them. Nature running it's course I guess.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back