can betta's get velvet

guppygirly

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
One of my male bettas has had one illness after anotherand this time it looks like velvet- a yellowish dust on his fins. He is only in a gallon of water that I change regularly and I am going to put him in the 2.5 filtered tank after I post this...is there anything else I can do. He is still kinda floating from swim bladder and weak from ich meds. I think I'm just going to stay away from meds this time and do a 50% water change everyday and feed some live food instead of freeze dried and pellets. Does this sound like a good solution? :(

And if you don't already, think about putting a bit of salt in his tank, it does wonders at preventative measures (the salt kills off alot of bad stuff before it can attack your fish), it's also good for healing after the fish is already sick. Although it's not good if your fish has open wounds, as with humans it would just become a painful irritant then.

Linda

shrks1fan said:
And if you don't already, think about putting a bit of salt in his tank, it does wonders at preventative measures (the salt kills off alot of bad stuff before it can attack your fish), it's also good for healing after the fish is already sick. Although it's not good if your fish has open wounds, as with humans it would just become a painful irritant then.

Linda
we use sea salt in all our tanks and bottles. just make sure it's non iodized, i think you can use kosher salt as well although we don't use that.

You can try Maracide for Velvet. Indeed bettas can get velvet. Adding some aquarium salt is also a good idea. Sorry your fishie is sick. :( Good luck with treatment. :D

Thanks for all the help. I didn't even think of salt! I'll try that today. He is looking better in the bigger, filtered tank though.

One of my large outdoor Koi had a fungus last year which was never identified, I have never seen it before and I have looked for any refrences to the smyptoms my fish showed but no disease matched. I hope yours isn't as complicated as mine, keep us posted.

Good Luck

A sad update- he died yesterday morning. :-( I cleaned his tank out and am quarentining it for a few days before adding my other betta to it....

Most reactions

Back