Can Anyone Recommend A Good Sand?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Homebase playsand here recommended to me by "matt_storey".
Not sure if the pictures do it any good as the camera does like to change stuff on its own, but here's some i just took.
Try to imagin inbetween the top left and top right and i'd say that's about right lol.

homebasesand.jpg

Many thanks - and cheers for the pics, Proxo - looks great! That's what I'm after...

Ok, so I have a choice of Argos or Homebase...what about B&Q? I think they sell play sand too. Would that be the same stuff as Argos and Homebase? Just that B&Q are nearest to me (although Homebase aren't that far away either). I would have to order online for Argos and they charge about £6 delivery.

Woo - looks like I may have sand by the weekend then! :)

Athena

Many thanks - and cheers for the pics, Proxo - looks great! That's what I'm after...

Ok, so I have a choice of Argos or Homebase...what about B&Q? I think they sell play sand too. Would that be the same stuff as Argos and Homebase? Just that B&Q are nearest to me (although Homebase aren't that far away either). I would have to order online for Argos and they charge about £6 delivery.

Woo - looks like I may have sand by the weekend then! :)

Athena

Never thought about B&Q lol.

I went with the homebase as i thought the argos sand was a little too bright & i like to be slightly different from the rest lol.
You could try mixing the 2 together and see how that would turn out?
then ofc let me know as im thinking of doing that myself for the other tank :fun:

Any brand of play sand should be fine, avoid building sand.

From the brands I've tried, the tarmac (brand) sand that Toysrus sell has a more pink hue to it where as the argos stuff is a crisper white colour, but the toysrus stuff from tarmac doesn't require much washing at all.

I looked at both sands, I preferred Argos play sand. Its lighter, and less "speckled". Personal preference I guess. I found it quite easy to clean also, continuously flushed each bag for around 10minutes. You can visibly see when its done.

Thanks again for the further input. Asked my b/f to pick up a bag of PLAY sand from B&Q (not builders sand) and he was insisting that he should go to Wickes and buy dry kilned sand instead! Oh dear...I haven't a clue what that type of sand is and what the difference is to play sand - but he does like to have his say, even though he's apparently not at all interested in my aquariums...and he's right, I'm wrong (well, so he thinks) LOL

I just hope there isn't a bag of unwanted sand waiting for me when I get home tonight! :/

Athena :sad:

another vote for toys r us playsand, think it works out slightly cheaper than argos, didnt take me very long to wash and didnt make the tank cloudy at all.

Not used Kiln Dried sand before. Make sure it has no lime in it.

Play sand is cheap. I used 1/2 bag of Toy'r'us play sand (?10kg) for my 90L tank. "Only" £5 per bag.

Adrian

just my 2p's worth i use tesco play sand used 3 bags of the stuff really like it, they do an offer of 2 bags for £4, think thats good, used argos playsand for my last tank and think it is slightly darker than the tesco stuff.

Yes, have decided that if b/f brings home bag of that other stuff from Wickes, I will tell him to return it and I'll go get some myself at the weekend from B&Q or Asda/Homebase, whichever shop I find myself near on our travels LOL

Really appreciate all the comments - thanks!

B&Q play sand is easy to wash and doesnt cloud the tank, just done my new one in it.

Cheers, Andy - that's boosted my confidence in buying from B&Q.

Much appreciated!

Athena x

I'll be swapping my gravel for tesco sand over the weekend,2 for £4 is too good to miss

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back