Can Ammonia (For A Fishless Cycle) Go Bad?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Okay so I have done countless fishless cycles with 100% success.  I have been out of the "fish" game for years due to college and moving a lot.  Some of you may remember me and some may not.  

So I added up to 5 ppm ammonia using 10% diluted ammonia to start the cycle.  I then tested the ammonia level using the API freshwater test kit and the color in the glass tube went to dark blue after 5 min.  I did like a 50% water change, tested again and the same.  I then did near a 90% water change tested again and the same dark blue.  I checked to see if there was an expiration date on the ammonia bottle and there was nothing.  I checked the expiration on the test kit and it expires in like 4 years or so.  I checked the ammonia level in the tap water and it was around .25-.5ppm, so no where close.  

Like I said before I have done this a lot, ran the calculation many times to make sure I added the right amount of ammonia.  (10 gallon tank, added 1.9ml of 10% diluted ammonia).

Anyone have any ideas?  I guess just keep doing water changes to knock the level down to a readable amount.

Thank you.

What type of ammonia is it? 

I found that the calculator on this site said I needed more ammonia than I actually did (Kleenoff brand), even after taking into account volume lost to decorations and equipment.

I wouldn't have thought that ammonia could go off in an airtight bottle, but I guess it must have. You've tested your tap water and got a much lower reading, so we can probably assume the test kit is working fine.

I don't have the ammonia bottle next to me right now.  All I remember is it is the ACE Janitorial Strength Ammonia.  

It's weird that the ammonia test turns blue. I have the API kit and the ammonia test goes extremely dark green when there is high ammonia but never any other colour than green.

Is it possible there is some kind of contaminant in the tank, on the glass or on anything else you've put inside?

ACE uses 9.5% ammonium hydroxide solution in water.

Okay maybe it was 9.5% not sure cause I don't have the bottle here.  

I thought the same thing about the tank being contaminated so I put water in another, clean, container and added some ammonia.  Then I tested it and it went straight to blue.  

I have never had this issue before.  

Please note that the ammonia I am using is probably 4-5 years old.  I should have stated that earlier.  This is just confusing me?  

To my knowledge, over time the ammonia concentration in the bottle should reduce as ammonia gas escapes into the air.  So an old bottle of ammonium will likely have a lower concentration of ammonia.  That doesn't explain why the test turns blue, though.

daizeUK said:
To my knowledge, over time the ammonia concentration in the bottle should reduce as ammonia gas escapes into the air.  So an old bottle of ammonium will likely have a lower concentration of ammonia.  That doesn't explain why the test turns blue, though.
 Maybe since the ammonia is escaping, as you suggested, there are other chemicals left behind which become more relevant with the lower level of ammonia?   

A lot of these cleaning products only list ammonium and water as ingredients, but I believe they aren't required to list other ingredients as it's a non-food product, so there could be nasty stuff left over.  That's just a guess though.

Hmm... I am puzzled.  Kind of stuck on what to do.  There are a few things I am going to try out.  Thanks for all the replies.

Well, looks like all is good.  Processing 5 ppm of ammonia and nitrite down to 0 ppm within 24 hours.  Going to do this for a week then 90% W/C and add fish.  I tested the ammonia again and it did not go blue so not sure if my test tubes were contaminated or what?  Might just grab some new ammonia and use that.  Anyways.  All is good and my girlfriend is super excited to get some fish in the tank, finally! This was a fast cycle.  Only 3 weeks.  

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back