Calling All Aps Aquarium Owners!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sayedfamily

Reaction score
Hello all!

I had a little tweak around with my All Pond Solutions 250L aquarium yesterday and am pretty proud of the results. I managed to combined my APS external filter with the included hood filter to make a double filtration system of sorts.

Basically, I had my external filter set up as normal with the spray bar attachment. I felt that the spray bar reduced the flow a great deal and didn't thoroughly oxygenate the water. On the other hand, I knew that the hood trickle filter would oxygenate the water well. However, I didn't want to install the unsightly powerhead in my tank to power the hood filter so I decided to somehow get the external filter pumping water to the hood tray.

I pulled the external filter's outlet pipe into the hood, connected a small length of garden hose to the outlet hose and connected the garden hose to the trickle filter's spray bar. Now, the water goes into the external canister, is cleaned, pumped up to the hood filter spray bar and cleaned a second time. 

I feel that the extra filtration will undoubtedly do well for water quality and will also oxygenate the water as it trickles. 

I hope this long explanation makes sense!! What do you guys think of my "innovation" (hope it hasn't been done before!)? Will the double pass through filtration media make any significant changes to water quality? Let me know!

It hasnt increased the turnover (e.g. if getting 1600lph from your canister, you are still getting 1600lph, maybe less. You have increased the volume of filtration but not the amount of filtration. That said, if your water came out of the cycled system with any ammonia or nitrite I would be finding a soft padded room for safety cos it would not be your day.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back