Buenos Aires Tetras and lighting.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gilpi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
New to Tetras but not new to the hobby, recently added eight BA Tetras to a 55g with an existing eight Tiger Barbs. They have been together for about a month and to my surprise, it has been an incredible bond between the two species, always together and they school together as well. My issue is with the lighting, the Tetras don't seem to like lighting as the Barbs don't mind any type of lighting. I went from two fluorescent tubes to one and the tetras still hide, I actually have to block about 50% of the one tube to get them to come out. Is this typical for these fish?

I have 6 BAs with 9 Black Skirts - They don't seen to mind the light, but I don't have much cover. They all co-exist nicely.

Think your observations are correct and the Buenos Aires don't like high light but "use" the barbs as dithers to feel comfortable in the bright light circumstances (that's why they "school" which is quite unnatural behaviour (besides the fact that they will never encounter each other in nature of course hahaha)

Could be if there would be a darker spot in the tank the BA's would stay there.

Think your observations are correct and the Buenos Aires don't like high light but "use" the barbs as dithers to feel comfortable in the bright light circumstances (that's why they "school" which is quite unnatural behaviour (besides the fact that they will never encounter each other in nature of course hahaha)

Could be if there would be a darker spot in the tank the BA's would stay there.
The interesting thing about this is that the barbs were out front at all times, now they follow the ba tetras and hide from the bright light together with them. Feeding time they all come out, if one darts to a corner, the rest of the group follow. It is unusual behavior.

The interesting thing about this is that the barbs were out front at all times, now they follow the ba tetras and hide from the bright light together with them. Feeding time they all come out, if one darts to a corner, the rest of the group follow. It is unusual behavior.
So it is the other way around now ?
Add.some floating plants to give them.more shelter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back