Bright Water Tank syndrome ( extension to water change thread.....)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

With all due respect that is the kind of thinking which leads to Anti-Vax or flat earth or evolution denial
You can have all the gut feelings you like, but if you can't justify your belief system then you can't form a reasonable discussion.

Nothing can be definitively proved, but if you wish to have a discussion, evidence of your opinion needs to be provided.

for example
Byron and Deanasue both disagree with me regarding water harness impact on fish. They provide evidence which forms the basis of their opinion and I do the same. We don't agree but all three have some form of basis for their opinion ( and can provide it).
So you don't believe in god then

So you don't believe in god then
I wont be discussing my religious views, religion is a personal matter to many people.
But:
Would you not consider the Bible, the Koran and the Torah evidence for Gods existence?
People who hold this belief in God can point to their religious texts, they hold the basis for their belief system. It can be right, It can be wrong but if I asked someone of this persuasion what is the basis for your belief, do you not think these text would be provided as evidence? and I as the asker, whether I believed it or not, would respect that as evidence.

However matters of faith do not have any baring on matters of the terrestrial. The earth is still round, vaccines are still safe, and evolution still happens whether you believe in god or not. or indeed believing in those points or not, it doesn't make them less true.

Sometimes it is nice to have a philosophical discussion about things, without a science base, with gut feelings expressed. These discussions give power to people who don't have resources, and allow their beliefs to be heard. It also removes some of the power of the elite.

At the end of the day my friend I am sorry that you feel this way.

It also removes some of the power of the elite.
I find this the most saddening, there is no elite.
You and I, just like everyone else on this forum and the wider world are equals with different knowledge, different opinions and different life skills.
By asking why you believe like you do, in this case why Mains water is bad, I may learn something which will allow me to change my opinion
But if you can't provide an answer I will never be able to see your side of the topic.
And vice versa.

I haven't said mains water is bad, I have asked the question, that if we do large water changes with mains water can fish over time become immune compromised

I have asked the question, that if we do large water changes with mains water can fish over time become immune compromised

Based on what I said in my earlier post if your water is missing any one of the earlier nutrients I listed. The answer is possibly yes due to nutrient deficiency. But if your water is deficient in a nutrient your fish need any size water change may result in immune compromised fish. And doing no water change be harmful in different ways.

Based on what I said in my earlier post if your water is missing any one of the earlier nutrients I listed. The answer is possibly yes due to nutrient deficiency. But if your water is deficient in a nutrient your fish need any size water change may result in immune compromised fish. And doing no water change be harmful in different ways.
Thank goodness there is some one out there who understands the question. Thank you.

@itiwhetu so I know this is a bit off topic, but this reminds me of a study I read a couple years ago about why kids get more sick these days than they use to.

Whole group of medical professionals from around the country got together to collaborate on the study (I've been looking for like 10 min. before typing this and can't find it yet) and they concluded that: kids get sick more easily because they don't eat enough dirt from playing outside like older generations did as children. Since they're not exposed to as much, they don't build up the immune system that they could have.

Like I said it's off topic, and I don't really agree/disagree with anything in this thread since I'm not as knowledgeable on this topic (I'll research more later, it's on my long, long, list of items to study now), but thought you might find that interesting.

If I find the study I'll be sure to post, it was intriguing.

If you ever come across any cited or peer reviewed info. about the thread topic though be sure to post! I'd be interested in checking it out too.

Last edited:
@itiwhetu so I know this is a bit off topic, but this reminds me of a study I read a couple years ago about why kids get more sick these days than they use to.

Whole group of medical professionals from around the country got together to collaborate on the study (I've been looking for like 10 min. before typing this and can't find it yet) and they concluded that: kids get sick more easily because they don't eat enough dirt from playing outside like older generations did as children. Since they're not exposed to as much, they don't build up the immune system that they could have.

Like I said it's off topic, and I don't really agree/disagree with anything in this thread since I'm not as knowledgeable on this topic (I'll research more later, it's on my long, long, list of items to study now), but thought you might find that interesting.

If I find the study I'll be sure to post, it was intriguing.

If you ever come across any cited or peer reviewed info. about this be sure to post! I'd be interested in checking it out too.
Love it. And there is the point of this thread

I haven't said mains water is bad, I have asked the question, that if we do large water changes with mains water can fish over time become immune compromised

I think the best way to know is to look at fish in the wild.
In the big rivers like Amazon and Orinoco, thousands of gallons of water are being renewed daily and the fish are healthy and growing well.
But in polluted rivers where people dumped the toxic waste and other dirty waste, many fish will die daily.

In the aquarium, as long as you don't overclean your filter media and replace all your substrate at once, I believe the beneficial bacteria will be enough to support your fish.
In the wild where there are so much substrate in the rivers, streams, etc that provide places for the beneficial bacteria to grow. Some rivers don't even have plants or much plants.

Lastly, majority of tap water is safe if the water agency have stringent process for the filtrations.
But to really know whether your tap water is safe for your fish in the long term, you will have to do a water analysis.
Only with water analysis, you will know of any chemical that is being used or any deficency of minerals.
Also, for long term effects, you will need a group of people to do research of the chemical, minerals, etc. in the water .

Last edited:
I think the best way to know is to look at fish in the wild.
In the big rivers like Amazon and Orinoco, thousands of gallons of water are being renewed daily and the fish are healthy and growing well.
But in polluted rivers where people dumped the toxic waste and other dirty waste, many fish will die daily.

In the aquarium, as long as you don't overclean your filter media and replace all your substrate at once, I believe the beneficial bacteria will be enough to support your fish.
In the wild where there are so much substrate in the rivers, streams, etc that provide places for the beneficial bacteria to grow. Some rivers don't even have plants or much plants.

Lastly, most tap water is safe for fish as it has gone through many filtrations.
But to really know whether your tap water is safe for your fish in the long term, you will have to do a water analysis.
Only with water analysis, you will know of any chemical that is being used or any deficency of minerals.
Also, for long term effects, you will need a group of people to do research of the chemical, minerals, etc. in the water .
Thank you, I have always thought small water changes are fine large ones not so good

Last edited:
I like large water change because its like having heavy rain in a river or stream... Its very refreshing. Lol

Just to add some info:
I think some countries tap water can be quite unpredictable due to the environmental pollutions.
Developed countries water supply might be better and more consistent unlike in third world countries.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back