Breeding

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

guppymonkey

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am trying to start up a breeding project with my guppies. I have some two month old guppies that are divided up by male and female. I know that females can die if they are pregnant at too early of an age. What about males? How old should my guppies be before I start breeding them?

:/ hmm... that is a good question. Male birds, dogs, cats anything can breed as soon as they are phisically able, but it is usually not wise to do so. I don't know. :unsure: :dunno:

I think it is 3-4 months
The females are born ready (although they may die) with no need for development of certain parts (I think)

The males have to develop certain reproductive stuff before breeding

best? 5-6 months..... 6 is recommned becuase at six months they are reach matured adulthood. their bodies are stablized

I have some home grown platies and I just bought some different colored ones which gave birth within 3 days after I purchased them. By judging from their size, I'd say they are around 4/4.5 months old. I only see 4 surviving fries in the huge pile of java moss, so perhaps the brood size was on the small size, but the other two females are also fat so I'm pretty sure less than 5 months old females can give birth and still be healthy.

I think if its any livebearers fish it has to be over 4 months to have any part in the making of the babies male or female :blink:

Most reactions

Back