breeding Bettas?

Olive

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Okay can someone give me a little info on this subject??

Probably wont do it but had a dream about it last night............. :D

Okay I am adding a little more now that I have time. I was about to leave and thought I might ask real quick and have some answers when I got back but I didn't so now I will ellaborate.

I might want to breed bettas, but I don't know enough about it, so I was hoping that someone might chime in and give me a little info. I was at the LFS the other day and saw a really pretty female :wub: and thought about getting her. The guy there said that they would fight and the male would kill her if she wasn't ready to breed :unsure: . How would you know if she were ready to breed or not? So, you can't keep a male and female together indefinately I am gathering...........??? :blink:

Okay, so after they lay eggs, then what? Get them out of the tank so they don't eat the fry??? Keep them in??? Come on guys, I need some help! I figure if I am dreaming about it, then I must really want to do it subconsiously...... :dunno:

Olive said:
Okay can someone give me a little info on this subject??

Probably wont do it but had a dream about it last night............. :D

Okay I am adding a little more now that I have time. I was about to leave and thought I might ask real quick and have some answers when I got back but I didn't so now I will ellaborate.

I might want to breed bettas, but I don't know enough about it, so I was hoping that someone might chime in and give me a little info. I was at the LFS the other day and saw a really pretty female :wub: and thought about getting her. The guy there said that they would fight and the male would kill her if she wasn't ready to breed :unsure: . How would you know if she were ready to breed or not? So, you can't keep a male and female together indefinately I am gathering...........??? :blink:

Okay, so after they lay eggs, then what? Get them out of the tank so they don't eat the fry??? Keep them in??? Come on guys, I need some help! I figure if I am dreaming about it, then I must really want to do it subconsiously...... :dunno:
Never mind.......read the breeding pinned topic.......sorry I didn't see it before.

sorry, i was meaning to type some stuff for you just hadn't gotten around to it yet ;) if you have any questions after reading the breeding topic please ask. ;)

bkk_group said:
sorry, i was meaning to type some stuff for you just hadn't gotten around to it yet ;) if you have any questions after reading the breeding topic please ask. ;)
Well, actually, I do. When they aren't breeding, should I keep the female in another tank? I have seen them with other tropicals and seemed fine.......
thanks for your help in advance! :D

yes, like most males they are always willing to mate ;) because of this the female is never safe. females produce eggs on a monthly basis but are only ready to mate once a month. if you have ever witnessed the mating experience you will know that the male can be very agressive if the female is unwilling. he will chase her around and try to bite her, thats why it's important for her to have room to swim away from him and places to hide and rest, otherwise it can get ugly. it's possible to keep more than one female together especially if they come from a community tank or are sisters of the same spawn. but, be warned that usually the females are every bit as agressive as the males and will attack each other as well if they feel the other is crowding her space. how do you know when the female is ready to mate? well, when you place the female in the tank with the male (usually we place the female in a bottle so that the male can swim around her but not get at her) she will get noticibly darker and vertical bands will appear on her sides. she will start to produce eggs in her belly and you will notice her bigger than usual. she will pay a lot of attention to the male. at this time hopefully, the male will start to build a bubble nest and pay a lot of attention to the female. in a day or two you can introduce the two of them together. this is where it can get a little scary. the male will try to dominate her and show her by attacking and flaring that he is worthy. what he is trying to do is get her under his bubble nest. the female can be choosy though, if she doesn't feel his bubble nest is big enough she will avoid him, causing him frustration. eventually she will be ready to breed and she will start to flair at him and undulate her body sideways to him telling him she is then ready. if you are lucky, you will witness the event. oh, it's a good idea to cover the walls of the tank so as to give them some privacy, it causes the male stress if he feels he is being watched, but you will still be able to peek at them. it's important to take the female out soon after they mate as she has a tendency to want to eat the eggs and the male will try to keep her away from the nest . the male will then take over the duty of building the nest bigger and taking care of things till the fry hatch. even then he will care for the fry by picking them off the bottom of the tank when they drop from the nest and clean them with his saliva and replace them in the nest. when the fry begin to swim freely you should take the male out of the tank, his job is finished. ;) after all that, care and feeding of the fry is a whole other story.

bkk_group said:
yes, like most males they are always willing to mate ;) because of this the female is never safe. females produce eggs on a monthly basis but are only ready to mate once a month. if you have ever witnessed the mating experience you will know that the male can be very agressive if the female is unwilling. he will chase her around and try to bite her, thats why it's important for her to have room to swim away from him and places to hide and rest, otherwise it can get ugly. it's possible to keep more than one female together especially if they come from a community tank or are sisters of the same spawn. but, be warned that usually the females are every bit as agressive as the males and will attack each other as well if they feel the other is crowding her space. how do you know when the female is ready to mate? well, when you place the female in the tank with the male (usually we place the female in a bottle so that the male can swim around her but not get at her) she will get noticibly darker and vertical bands will appear on her sides. she will start to produce eggs in her belly and you will notice her bigger than usual. she will pay a lot of attention to the male. at this time hopefully, the male will start to build a bubble nest and pay a lot of attention to the female. in a day or two you can introduce the two of them together. this is where it can get a little scary. the male will try to dominate her and show her by attacking and flaring that he is worthy. what he is trying to do is get her under his bubble nest. the female can be choosy though, if she doesn't feel his bubble nest is big enough she will avoid him, causing him frustration. eventually she will be ready to breed and she will start to flair at him and undulate her body sideways to him telling him she is then ready. if you are lucky, you will witness the event. oh, it's a good idea to cover the walls of the tank so as to give them some privacy, it causes the male stress if he feels he is being watched, but you will still be able to peek at them. it's important to take the female out soon after they mate as she has a tendency to want to eat the eggs and the male will try to keep her away from the nest . the male will then take over the duty of building the nest bigger and taking care of things till the fry hatch. even then he will care for the fry by picking them off the bottom of the tank when they drop from the nest and clean them with his saliva and replace them in the nest. when the fry begin to swim freely you should take the male out of the tank, his job is finished. ;) after all that, care and feeding of the fry is a whole other story.
Wow, I cannot thank you enough for the in depth advice!!! You really know your stuff!!! I will let you know when I decide to do this, so you will know which idiot keeps PM'ing you for last minute advice, if that is okay.......... ;)

Most reactions

Back