Breeding angelfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm sure others think differently but I would move the pair out of that tank into their own 20 gal. Angelfish can get aggressive and they can stress out other fish in that tank. Move them into a tank with a #3 sponge Filter and bare bottom. A nice small piece of wood with a plant on it and a piece of slate is all you need.
Most pairs will eat their eggs. They have been bred so far down from wild stock that most pairs don't know how to parent raise. We've found that once they eat the eggs they just keep on eating them.
We have one pair that parent raised them right out of the gate. They are incredible parents but this is not the norm.

I wasn't saying that they would not eat their own young the first few spawns if they were in their own tank. My point was that the constant attempts of other fish to eat the eggs and the parents defending and attacking would be predators just makes for a very stressful tank. Better not to have that happen. For serious breeding, mated pairs are separated from other fish, including other Angels.
This is worth a look. Dean has been breeding fish for 50 years.
I enjoyed that video-he knows his stuff

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back