Breeding and rearing betta fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Right, well when I said 20-30 comes out, that's what I heard from someone, not a fact that I beleive in. Allthough, my LFS will take my bettas I don't want. When you say I should get a good "Pair" Do you mean like those really expenisve ones you see on the Betta breeding sites? I'm not quite clear on all of that. :(

StingrayKid said:
Right, well when I said 20-30 comes out, that's what I heard from someone, not a fact that I beleive in. Allthough, my LFS will take my bettas I don't want. When you say I should get a good "Pair" Do you mean like those really expenisve ones you see on the Betta breeding sites? I'm not quite clear on all of that. :(
Yes

Petstore bettas dont sell much

LoL, my dad raises African Violets, I want to try my hand at bettas.

I have a crown-tail that transists from black to red and an opaque crown-tail. I was wondering how the offspring would look like.

He may cruise the tank from time to time,checking for stray eggs or predators,be careful not to let him see you, he will eat the eggs if he feels threatened.

I was just curious about this. My betta is really use to seeing me and most of the times if he sees me he will swim up to the side of the tank closest to me and stay there. Would he still feel treatened if he saw me near? Right now he is in my dorm so I'm the only person he ever sees. He is a feisty little thing and the first week I had him, he would puff up at me all the time, but now he doesn't do it any more. Do you think he will still destroy the eggs?

Also, what type of female should I get. All the females I see look half dead (there're walmart fish so I don't know if that's natural) Should I find a female as lively as my male?

I have never bred betta's but I ofund out this little interesting bit:

Blue plus Blue = Blue, turquoise and steel blue offspring

"If I have to start breeding halfmoon, I will take blue halfmoon as my first breeding stock. Blue, in genetic, written as BbBb. Breeding blue to blue will get 50% blue, 25% Turquoise and 25% Steel Blue." (http://www.atisonbetta.com/gallery2_3.asp)

Was thinking of breeding Bettas in a few months as wanted to know if this equipment would be sufficient or proper.

- 75 gallon growout thank
- biological filter or sponge filter for qrow out tank.
- betta barracks with each betta having a 7x4x8 space (modified 5 gallon tanks, so every 4 bettas will actually share the same water). Can I reduce this to 3x7x8?

Ambients temps here are mid high 20's degreed celcius to the mid 30's

Was thinking of Breeding either Steel Blue Plakats or Blue Halfmoons.

Still trying to check on availabel food for the fry.

man u know alot about breeding this is very helpful i will consider this in the summer when i do not have school

:hyper: :hyper: :cool: :cool: :hyper: :hyper: :cool: :cool: :hyper: :hyper:

Not really.

They can be anything from very large Mason jars, to Beanie Baby boxes, to large pickle jars, to large plastic cereal containers, etc.

The key is:

a. it must hold water
b. half gallon or larger

Edit: fixed a stupid smilie that wasn't supposed to be there.

Kelly loved the write up but wanted to add that I start my new fry on BBS. I don't worry about starting on micro worms. Also wanted to add to the post that olny 20 or 30 survive. If you are losing more then 5% of your spawn before culling then you are not changing near enough water, feeding way to much, or not feeding near enough.

-john

red-devil0602 said:
sponge/corner filter where can i get these from in the uk
I'm not sure about the UK (should be able to find them in your lfs) ,there is also a thread somewhere with a DIY sponge filter.

I have a strange question. If you have NO supplies, and assuming you get all the necessary jars for 50 cents each... How much is the grand total of EVERYTHING you need for one spawn? This is including all the food, housing... things like that. I know guesses will average, but I'm just curious what the opinion is ^_^

I don't intend to breed bettas in the near future, but it would be nice to know in the distant future what I should plan on spending for a first spawn, assuming I need to buy all new material.

KeddyPie... this is just a guess :) I'm sure Wuv and the other experienced breeders know much better.

10 gallon spawn tank ~ $20
50 gallon grow out tank ~ $60
Filters/siphoning equiptment ~ $25
Heaters ~ $20
2 Cultures (Microworm + Vinegar Eel) ~ $30
BBS + hatchery ~ $20
10 Plants (live or silk) ~ $20
Other stuff (nets, scoops, thermometers, water testing kits, dechlorinators,etc) ~ $40 at LEAST
$0.50 jars x 100 ~ $50

GRAND TOTAL ~ $285

This is if you get REALLY cheap, basic tanks and good deals on cultures and plants. I've estimated this is at least how much I'll spend on my spawn... My 12gal breeding tank cost $80, and my grow out tank will definitely cost more than $60. Its very costly and time-consuming to start off in breeding Bettas... if you have 200-300 fry, it could cost much more than $300. And, for a lot of the fry, you won't get very much money at all. What about the deformed or poorly marked babies? If you don't cull them, you'll be giving them away for FREE. And a large percentage of even a well-bred spawn can be deformed, poorly marked, have poor finnage, not show quality, etc. So, most of the time for beginning breeders, you are not going to come out even.

Most reactions

trending

Back