Brackish Links

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AMS

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Brackish Links
I think it would be good to have a databse of brackish links available in one convenient thread. I have a large collection that I personally use and would be of use for many TFF members. I assume that other members do as well, so if you have links PM me or reply in this thread and I will add it with credit towards you for supplying it.

General or All Purpose

Brackish Water Aquarium FAQ- This is hands down the most complete brackish aquaria piece compiled by brackish water expert and TFF member Neale Monks.
Dr. Foster and Smith: Discover the Beauty of a Brackish Niche Aquarium
Badman's Tropical Fish

Brackish Water Fish Profiles and Care Sheets

Brackish Plants
Planting Brackish Aquaria
Aquariumplants.com

Mangroves
Top Tropicals
Wet Web Media
Smithsonian Marine Station
Aquarium Fish Magazine

Books

Aqualog Special - Brackish Water Fishes: Frank Schaefer

So please anyone with links you are more than welcome to PM me or reply in this thread and I will add them. Note that if a link you suggest is similar to an exisitng link it may not be added.

Hi AMS

I liked the Wet Web Media Link. Had some really good information on Columbian Shark Cats.

Sabby :good:

It is good, but I'd make a few observations:
  1. There's no reason to keep climbing perch in brackish water, and they wouldn't do well at the SG stuff like monos and scats need.
  2. Glassfish aren't brackish water fish. Bob Fenner put up my message about this elsewhere on the site, but they're still reported as brackish water fish on the main page. A few species will tolerate salt, but some won't, and none of the traded species need it. For further info, see the Aqualog book.
  3. The commonly traded Siamese tiger (D. microlepis) doesn't need salt, and isn't a brackish water fish.
    None of the traded rainbowfish need brackish water, even the Madagascan ones. Even the ones that tolerate a bit of salt won't take an SG above 1.003. Again, see the Aqualog book.
  4. Loaches DEFINITELY are not brackish water. This myth that clown loaches live in brackish/salt water has been around for decades and must be down to confusing one species with another. Brackish water will probably kill a clown loach eventually.
Cheers,

Neale

I liked the Wet Web Media Link. Had some really good information on Columbian Shark Cats.

I thought the Wet Web Media link was a bit screwy as well, but for the "truly" brackish fish included like the Columbian Sharks and BBG's there was some good info. After reading the whole thing through I think I will delete it, lots of the info is not accurate.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back