Bored Dp?

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
Well I have had my DP for over half a year now and have tried alot with him. he started out in a 5 gallon tank which was heavily planted:

100_1240.jpg


While he was in their i tried a few tank mates with him. He got along fine with a male Molly (was only about an in at the time) and had no issues. He has also been with an ADF and oto for awhile with no issues. But since then he has been put into the 10 gallon below:

101_0147.jpg


101_0148.jpg



What I cant decide is weather or not he is lonely, board or just fine. he has never seem to have any issues in the past of aggression or anything. I tried him with some Cory for a night but sadly over the course of the night lost one and another a few days after (not sure if second related to first. only had for 2-3 days at that point). before that I tried him in a community as well which lasted for about 5 min since all the Molly and the Dwarf Gourami pestered him (though he never fought back). I moved him back asap and he is perfectly fine as far as I can tell physically. I want to try him with another DP or 2 but after 3-4 months of searching no one has them or can get them in (I asked many times). I think I will put some oto in soon but want some sort of buddy for him as well. Is there any fish I can try with him that might work? I will monitor him closely while the fish is inside and have room in my 30 the moment t it doesn't work out too. I have had him for round 6+ months now.

Suggestions?
 
I know you can put ottos and somtimes shrimp with these fella's but its advised you put them in first as the DP would get territorial ovbiously. But my best bet would be an otto, or you could try him with another DP as long as there is plenty of hiding places etc. If you do decided to go for the ottos, add between 2-4 of them so they feel secure.
 
I planned 5 oto and I have tried ghost Shrimp before too. They eventuly disappeared though and where not found when I changed tank either. As for DP I dont have high hoped since I cant find a place to carry them and I wont pay 50 bucks for a DP I wont be able to sex because I need females since mine is male. Another Male may end badly both both since that would be far to aggressive.
 
I think you should go for the ottos then mate. I've got my tank all ready, just need to wait till after holiday, then I will cycle it, plant it etc. But I have all the equipment then im going to get one of these little guys.

Does he have a big personality?
 
well he tends to watch you around the tank and swim back and forth across the glass. he also tends to do loops around the thermometer. It just seems a shame that he is stuck by himself though. I heard a small group of fast moving dwarf Rasbora where suppose to work.
 
well he tends to watch you around the tank and swim back and forth across the glass. he also tends to do loops around the thermometer. It just seems a shame that he is stuck by himself though. I heard a small group of fast moving dwarf Rasbora where suppose to work.

Hey, you have then signs he is bored =/

I say do a full on rescape, more wood and plants of possile then try there! My dp is in my community tank, can't be bothered to write out the novel why, but long story short, she ussdto be bullied alot by my other puffers, Boone bothers her and vise versa.

You could try a female, it could be pushing it though mate, and whatsbto say they won't get bored tpgether? You couldhavethe same problem again. I think you would be better off getting a larger tank =)
 
Does a larger tank mean I could have a community Dp tank? I tried him in a 30 with not the greatest results. Am i better off having a LFS taking him and re stocking the tank. I also plan to do a brackish tank with Spotted puffers later since those are much easier to obtain for me. I do plan to work on the DP tank regardless of whats inside depending I can find some good plants.
 
Does a larger tank mean I could have a community Dp tank? I tried him in a 30 with not the greatest results. Am i better off having a LFS taking him and re stocking the tank. I also plan to do a brackish tank with Spotted puffers later since those are much easier to obtain for me. I do plan to work on the DP tank regardless of whats inside depending I can find some good plants.

when i say larger tank i mean a species only tank with DP's and shrimp and ottos, as i think 2 DP's in a 5gal is too small :(

you could restock the tank if you wanted to :)
 
If I can find a female. There is only 1 LFS I haven't tried yet which is suppose to be the biggest but if they dont have a DP the chances of me finding one is very very slim.
 
If I can find a female. There is only 1 LFS I haven't tried yet which is suppose to be the biggest but if they dont have a DP the chances of me finding one is very very slim.

i have one, but i wont let you have her :P

you got a local maidenhead? they should be able to order 1 in for you :good:
 
Im in the US and sadly all I have is petsmart, Petco and 2 Fish stores in portland. One of the ones in portland had 2 female DP 3-4 months ago but that was before my 10 was ready. Since then I haven't found one. I plan to check the last place out after I am paid. I tried once before but got lost on the way (confusing area).
 
Have you thought of Bumble Bee Gobies. I have kept these with dwarf puffers in the past and get along fine with htem.
 
bumblebee Goby are a brackish species that while they can be in FW they prefer slightly brackish. Dp are pure FW.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top