Bog Wood

Jazzzz

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
833
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
turo, devon
Can i add new wood bog/mopapi(can't spell it) straight to the tank having run boiling water over it and then rinsed it in a bucket of coldwater

Will it harm the fish i know it will colour the water

And does it help reduce algea growth
 
Wont make a diff to algae growth (that I know of) can lower ph sometimes, but usually takes quite a lot to do this.

As long as you've rinsed it in boiling water, giving it a good scrub, your fine to add it immediatley to the tank, however, it will leech tannins, which over time dissapear with water changes, the tannins will not bother the fish at all, some species even prefer the water like that, if you dont like the look, you can add some carbon to try to clear it and some extra filter floss in the filter too.
 
Is it too big to boil?
A few days of boiling in a really big pot can work wonders to reduce tannins in bogwood to the point where you can tell if your fish are still there.
It also kills any bacteria, fungus or mold which may be lurking in the wood, and which may withstand simply having boiling water poured over top.
I wish I'd boiled mine properly the first time I used it, as I suspect it was behind a tank wipe out which occured after addition, with some peculiar yellow coating forming on not only objects in the tank, but on my fish.
Still don't know what it was, but I boil wood now and haven't had a problem like that since.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top