Blue Ram mouth stuck open

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Anonyfish

Reaction score
After putting food in my tank this morning, I noticed a piece of food fall on to some Java Moss in the tank. My female German Blue Ram went and ate this and I thought nothing of it.

A couple minutes later I checked back on the tank and noticed the Rams mouth was stuck open, she is breathing, however it does like itā€™s a bit of extra effort on the gills for her. Iā€™m also fairly sure I can see a bit of Moss that is inside her mouth and coming out her mouth a bit.

should I leave her alone in the hope that as itā€™s only a fine piece of moss she will get rid of it eventually, or should I try and remove the moss from her mouth? Although there is not a lot to work with and I donā€™t want to stress her our.

at the moment I am frequently checking her and she is moving fine and still eating. If I see her starting to struggle I will take her out and do what I can to help.
unfortunately itā€™s hard to get a clear picture, however in the one attached you can faintly see what looks like moss down the left side of her mouth.

I don't see a picture attached. What kind of substrate do you have in your tank?

I don't see a picture attached. What kind of substrate do you have in your tank?
Sorry the picture didnā€™t upload I must have done this wrong. The issue was however resolved and the Ram looks very happy.

I have a gravel substrate, although I have set up another tank as a quarantine tank and think I once this is up and running I will move the fish in there for the day and replace this with sand.

Watch your parameters for a week or so after switching out the substrate, there's a chance it disturbs the beneficial bacteria sufficiently to cause a mini cycle if you get unlucky.

Otherwise, glad to hear your ram is doing better!!

Watch your parameters for a week or so after switching out the substrate, there's a chance it disturbs the beneficial bacteria sufficiently to cause a mini cycle if you get unlucky.

Otherwise, glad to hear your ram is doing better!!
Great point thank you for bringing that too my attention. I will be careful if I do decide to do this, as I know how sensitive the rams are. I may just keep them alone in the quarantine tank for an extra few days!

Most reactions

Back