Blue Phantom Plecos

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ITViking

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone else keeping a Blue Phantom Pleco? Pictures?

Here's my guy. He's around 11 months old now, and approx 3" in length.

Tank was a bit messy when I took this as I had just done a big gravel vacuum.

BluePhantomPleco2 - Copy.jpg

I got a blue phantom pleco from an online fish store by their mistake...They told me to keep it. As it would outgrow my tank (35 gallon tall hex tank) I shipped it free to a fellow member.

It was beatiful but would hide most of the time. I rarely got to see it. My Bullnose pleco is much friendlier and come out in the open more often.

From what I've read Blue & Green Phantoms shouldn't get much bigger than 8" and can do okay in a 30-ish gallon tank as long as they are the main large occupant. Of course, since they are mainly bottom fish, a longer shorter tank is better than a taller tank.

Some Plecos, including the Blue/Green Phantom don't require much travelling room. They tend to stake out a territory and stay in a fairly small area.

My Pleco would constantly be in the caves if I had any rock/wood in the tank. But currently the tank is empty, so a great time to appreciate the Plecos colors. If anyone is curious why my tank is empty of rock/woods, plants etc... see my 'Getting Rid of Snails' thread: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/getting-rid-of-snails.475047/

Here's a video of my Blue Phantom Pleco. Taken under brighter lighting.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back