Blue Light Suitable For A Tropical Freshwater Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AquaPit

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

I just bought a new Fish Tank Set. It comes with a light which is Tri-lighted.

White, Blue and Blue-White.

If I'm not wrong, Blue light is usually associated with Marine Tanks.

So my question is, will the Blue light be suitable for a Freshwater Tank also? Will it somehow affect my fishes due to its lighting?

Tks in advance!

Lighting does impact the fish, but more with respect to brightness and duration than colour.  I just posted at length about this very issue, post #29 in this thread:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/437428-so-it-begins/

To the colour, I would find blue light unpleasant as it will distort the natural colouration of fish and plants/decor.  Does your light fixture provided Kelvin numbers for the white and blue/white light?  Aside from the rendition of colour, if you have live plants you need to be a bit more careful with light colour temperature.  Generally, light in the range of 5000K to 7000K (K = Kelvin) provides good colour rendition and good plant growth.

Blue is much more important in marine tanks, particularly for corals.  In freshwater, it can encourage algae.

Byron.

Most of the multi-color (tri-color) lights are marketed as daylight/moonlight.

I have one of these on my 60gal and the difference in plain white versus white/blue is remarkable.  The blue adds additional depth and more color correction than white alone. However, I rarely run the blue light by itself.  If I do, it is only for show (during the evenings) when company is over as it simulates moonlight.

Byron said:
Lighting does impact the fish, but more with respect to brightness and duration than colour.  I just posted at length about this very issue, post #29 in this thread:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/437428-so-it-begins/

To the colour, I would find blue light unpleasant as it will distort the natural colouration of fish and plants/decor.  Does your light fixture provided Kelvin numbers for the white and blue/white light?  Aside from the rendition of colour, if you have live plants you need to be a bit more careful with light colour temperature.  Generally, light in the range of 5000K to 7000K (K = Kelvin) provides good colour rendition and good plant growth.

Blue is much more important in marine tanks, particularly for corals.  In freshwater, it can encourage algae.

Byron.
Tks so much for the wonderful explanation!

BiggTexx said:
Most of the multi-color (tri-color) lights are marketed as daylight/moonlight.

I have one of these on my 60gal and the difference in plain white versus white/blue is remarkable.  The blue adds additional depth and more color correction than white alone. However, I rarely run the blue light by itself.  If I do, it is only for show (during the evenings) when company is over as it simulates moonlight.
Interesting enough, I have the same idea as yours! Haha! Tks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back