Bloated rasbora that has trouble swimming- not pooping

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tacocat

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
This just happened today, and I noticed 5 minutes ago. I have noticed previously that the fish looks rather bloated, and now that we realize it it wasn't pooping. However, today we just saw it floating upside down, and having trouble swimming and barely moving. At first I thought swim bladder, but now I don't think so. I don't have any peas or safe salt, so my brother wants to euthanize and hope for the best.

Edit: The picture is a picture I found on the web, but it looks exactly like what my fish has

Attachments

• DSCN8582-23a811faef5d6eb6c9df86d927baf91e_v_1410629405.jpg
    DSCN8582-23a811faef5d6eb6c9df86d927baf91e_v_1410629405.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 28
Well, now we realize that the torn fins are from the betta completely ATTACKING it now that it's weak and frail. So we have made the decision to euthanize it. So this is why people don't keep fish with bettas. Alright I see the error in my ways. I cannot return the other fish, as my mom believes it's a waste of her money, so instead I'll just hope that the other fish don't die. However, we are going to take it outside and behead it, as we do not have clove oil or something that can kill it in a better way.

Don't worry, the other fish are doing fine, and the betta won't really bother them unless they enter his territory, which the now dead fish did.

You may be able to save it if you isolate it in another tank, tub, whatever. Others will chime in,
If euthanizing, don't behead it! I've read with goldfish you can put it in a bag and freeze it. Not sure if that is ethical/humane for tropicals.

You may be able to save it if you isolate it in another tank, tub, whatever. Others will chime in,
If euthanizing, don't behead it! I've read with goldfish you can put it in a bag and freeze it. Not sure if that is ethical/humane for tropicals.
It was a tetra, not a goldfish

It was a tetra, not a goldfish
I realize that, I was just relating what I had read when I was keeping goldfish. Clove oil was the first recommendation, followed by freezing in water. Since Goldfish go into hibernation when cold, and that may be why freezing is an option, it might be different for tropicals.

I realize that, I was just relating what I had read when I was keeping goldfish. Clove oil was the first recommendation, followed by freezing in water. Since Goldfish go into hibernation when cold, and that may be why freezing is an option, it might be different for tropicals.
Gotcha.

Tropical fish should never be put alive and conscious into a freezer.

If you don't have clove oil, with a small fish like this blunt trauma is the kindest way. Have everything ready first so it's quick. Catch the fish and place it between a few layers of kitchen towel. Then hit it with something large and heavy which will kill it instantaneously. With something small like a hammer, you might miss most of it which will just cause suffering.

Decapitation - this must always be followed by pithing (destroying the brain with a needle) as both head and body can live separated for several minutes.

If you don't have clove oil, with a small fish like this blunt trauma is the kindest way. Have everything ready first so it's quick. Catch the fish and place it between a few layers of kitchen towel. Then hit it with something large and heavy which will kill it instantaneously. With something small like a hammer, you might miss most of it which will just cause suffering.

Decapitation - this must always be followed by pithing (destroying the brain with a needle) as both head and body can live separated for several minutes.

Thanks, good to know.

Added: Not a fun read, not looking forward to the first time I need to do this :(

Last edited:

Alright I will do that next time. It died already though, and after we confirmed the death my brother used it to feed his feeder crickets.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back