Bloated Or 'pregnant'?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Declan

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently bought some Cobra Guppies from my lfs, and one of them is either bloated or carrying fry.

How can I tell the difference?

Other than leaving it a while, and not feeding them.

Thanks, D.

can you get a photo? I had a platy that I thought was preggers I just got her out of tank in time when I realised she had dropsy! :angry:

She's most likely carrying fry...guppies are almost always pregnant. Are her scales sticking out? Guppies have what is known as a gravid spot just above their anal fin. It is always present but will become larger and darker during pregnancy as the fry develop. Here's a good pic of a pregnant Guppy:

a_pregnant_34806P_004.jpg

To add a photo to the forums, you must first save it to your computer and then click 'add reply'. Under the reply field you will see a button that says 'browse', click here and locate the photo in your saved files. Click on the photo and then click open. Once you have done that click upload (right next to the 'browse' button). You should then be able to click add reply and your photo should display.

Please excuse the REALLY bad quality, it was off my phone, my camera doesnt work :(

Thanks, D.

No idea, if this has worked?!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE EXCUSE THE AWFUL QUALITY!!

Attachments

• DSC00539.JPG
    DSC00539.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 80
I could be wrong, but from the pic, it looks like that one is male and he doesn't look particularly fat. Here's a good chart if you are unsure about sexing:

tropicalfish010.jpg

The fish in the above chart are Platies, but the method of sexing is still the same...

Agree looks male to me as well.

If it is female, certainly not pregnant.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back