Blackwater Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wrightt3

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good tips on how to turn a 15 gallon into a good looking, natural blackwater tank?
I'm planning to add indian almond leaves and wood but is there anything else?
I'm not looking for stocking ideas as i'm already fully stocked with 1 betta, 6 neons and 2 bristlenoses, I just want some ideas on how to decorate.
If anyone had any pics, that would be great too!

Yeah I considered peat but I'm against using it due to how damaging to the environment collecting it is.

Alder cones, oak leaves, almond leaves and various woods.

That and I believe that TTA uses redbush tea.

How many leaves/cones do you think I should add and will I need to take the carbon out of my filter?

wrightt3 said:
How many leaves/cones do you think I should add and will I need to take the carbon out of my filter?

As many as you like. Alder cones are supposed to release more tannins than leaves so these you can gradually stock up in case your original water is not well buffered and it drops the ph too fast. And yes, take out the carbon from the filter. It's counteractive to what you'll be trying to achieve.

Okay, thanks.
I'll try and find some alder cones then. I just picked up another almond leave today along with a piece of bogwood and the tank is starting to look a bit darker so all is good
biggrin.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back