Black Moor With Bad Attitude

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Villy Valley

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Having replaced my daughters black moor with another one - we are all horrified at the way it is treating the other fish at feeding time.

It goes under some sort of character change - from meek and mild hanging out with his best buddy Boris - another flutter fish. He becomes a monster at feed time and rams into anything that tries or seems to be near any food. He tries to chase off the minnows but they are too quick for him but the other flutter fish is head butted around the tank and then there is a squirmish around in circles on the bottom of the tank in the sand. Ramming and tail chasing - it is not nice to watch. Am I not putting in enough food or does this fish think the tank belongs to him and he is claiming the whole tank as his territory at feed time. After feed time, and scavenging from the bottom it returns to a meek and mild friend. What should I do?

Villy

How many gallons is the tank, plus full list of fish.
I think this is one for black angel, ask it to be moved by a mod in blue at the bottom of the forum, to the coldwater section.

Tank consists of: 29 litres. Fluval filter. Water change every Wednesday 20%.
2 Cloud Minnows
1 Black Moor
1 Fancy goldfish (flutter fish)
1 Pleco - which will have to go now that I know what it is and big it can grow (currently 1inch)

Fresh plants replaced every month

Fed fishflakes soaked first so that they sink and to reduce tendancy to swimbladder problems
Dried daphnia soaked first
Occasional live daphnia and blood worms.

I usually put in about 3-4 flakes that have been broken into tiny pieces before soaking (is this enough?)

Villy

i'd say that probably isn't enough food. but i've never owned goldies so... :dunno: i suggest that you pm black angel and ask her to weigh in on the thread.

Wow I'd recommend you return the goldfish and the pleco because thats only about 7 gallons of water which is to small for goldfish. The rule of thumb with goldfish is 75 liters for the first goldfish and 30 additonal liters for each additonal goldfish. So with these fish and depending on what kind of pleco it is (I'm guessing its a common pleco) you would need a 208 liter tank to a 283 liter tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back