Birds Spotted Near Your House

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Erised

Cheer up, the worst is yet to come. ~ P. Johnson
Reaction score
After reading the link Wolfy posted about the dropping number of songbirds in the UK I figured I'd go through my mums website to get some pics of birds (not so much song birds only) that she's seen near our house in the last year (which is in Holland). I don't have the name of all of them, so please do add to the comments if you happen to know the name of some that I don't have a name off. And, of course, feel free to post a list of photos of birds you've spotted near your house.

Unknown
Unknown
Sylvia atricapilla, Blackcap​
Aegithalos caudatus, Long-tailed Tit​
Bombycilla garrulus, Bohemian Waxwing​
Sitta europaea, Eurasian Nuthatch​
young Acrocephalus schoenobaenus, Sedge Warbler​
Carduelis chloris, Greenfinch​
Carduelis flammea, Redpoll​
Cyanistes caeruleus, Blue Tit​
Phylloscopus collybita, Chiffchaff​
Troglodytes troglodytes, Winter Wren​
Pyrrhula pyrrhula, Bullfinch​
Turdus merula, Blackbird​
Garrulus glandarius, Eurasian Jay​
Alcedo atthis, Kingfisher​

Any wrong IDs we can blame on my mum, I simply translated the names from the ones mentioned on her site :p And please do note that these photos are all from far away and therefore quite pixely up close.

Well, had some unusual visitors to my backyard. Two mallard ducks (Anas platyrhynchos). There's a canal about a quarter mile away, but I've never seen ducks in my garden before. My pond is about 1 metre across and surely didn't interest them!

Cheers, Neale

duck01.JPG

duck02.JPG

We don't get a great deal in our garden, the cats see to that, although one of the houses backing onto ours has a roaring crowd, mainly pigeons, starlings, sparrows, the occasional robin and blackbird... However, there's a large pond (Baffins Pond, if you want to look it up) with a whole heap of ducks and similar (alas, most of the interesting ones are gone...there used to be mandarins, a muscovy, a black swan, even a pink swan [it had an accident with something pink])- mainly mallards, canada geese, shovelers, moorhens, coots, swans, barnacle geese and brent geese (although these mainly live in the big fields which are protected breeding grounds).

Edit- forgot a few :p Also tufted ducks, snow geese (led by Lucy the tribe matriach), lots of cormorants and a couple of herons.

dont have any pictures but we have red kites barn owls, wood peckers really cool driving home some nights to see a massive barn oel just sitting in the road

what a beautiful bird, almost as beautiful as the bird that posted it :)

of course I did!
E is stunning and she knows it :drool:

You're a big flirt Wolfy =p
Do agree that the bird is pretty though, don't think I've actually seen 1 myself yet even though they're not supposed to be uncommon.

NMonks, the ducks are lovely. We're not too far away from a big pond as well as a lake so ducks are quite common around where I live, though I've yet to see them in my garden. Must have been quite a surprise to suddenly see them in yours!

OohFeeshy, that's why our cats aren't allowed outside :p Must say I'm glad I don't live where you do. Not all too keen on geese, the only ones near me are the ones in farms, which thankfully have a fence between me and them. Though a pink swan would be quite interesting to see.

As it happens Neale the other day I also noticed two mallard drakes on the roof of the house next door.

Attachments

• drakes.jpg
    drakes.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 177
For some odd reason we can't view your photo William. It seems to be protected against user views.

We dont get much where we are now, just a few sparrows, pigeons, starlings and the occasional bule tit but where we lived before which is only about 2 miles up the road we had a nature reserve in front of our flat which was alive with bird life ranging from 3 species of woodpecker, several finch and tit species, coots moorhens and swans on the Longford river that flows through it and even a resident periguin falcon that used to make occasional appearences to take down feral pigeons while in flight and flocks of escaped paraketes that would raid the trees for berries in autumn.

For some odd reason we can't view your photo William. It seems to be protected against user views.
I think I've sorted it now.

The main visitors to my garden would be wrens, blue and great tits, blackbirds, robins, sparrows and woodpigeons.

We get a whole assortment of birds: black birds, robins, nuthatch, bluejay, golden finch( the preetiest bird ever), green finch, mourning doves, redheaded woodpecker, some greeish woodprcker, and about 5 other kinds but cant remeber there names.

even a pink swan [it had an accident with something pink]

probably washed it with a red t-shirt, that's always happening to me.

We have blackbirds, blue, great and long tailed tits, a couple of Maggies, a few pidgeons (that Sasha absolutely can not stand!), a pair of collared doves, a few wrens (we have lavender bushes), goldfinches, which absolutely are the prettiest birds ever, green finches, crows and rooks, Martins too at the right time of year and a few other pretty things.

Also, dead on 9pm every night, the bats come out. I wonder what bats do until 9pm that they always come out at the same time? the bat version of Eastenders finishes at 9 or something perhaps.

I've had loads visit my feeders and bird table. I saw a pair of goldfinch the other day, i've had blue tits, coal tits, great tits, house sparrows, dunnocks, greenfinches, a nuthatch, the lot!
Visit my website for pictures of some of them: www.cheshire-wildlife.co.uk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back