Biorb substrate?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fish4dawin

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So in our kitchen we have a 30 litre or 7ish gallon tank, and I just wanted to ask if I could have sand in the biorb. I already asked my mum about this a few times but I just wanted to ask on here as well. The substrate in there right now is some quiet big kind of like rocks. Is that what you should have in a biorb or can you change it to sand or gravel?

The rocks in a biorb are the biological medium. Biorbs use an undergravel filter system with the filter box containing just some sort of filter wool to catch the bits and a carbon zeolite mix.
If you want sand on the bottom, you can't use the built in filter, you have to use another one eg sponge filter or internal filter. You could try a large grained gravel but I don't know whether or not it would work.
And you'd lose your biomedium when you removed the rocks so the tank would have to re-cycle.

The rocks in a biorb are the biological medium. Biorbs use an undergravel filter system with the filter box containing just some sort of filter wool to catch the bits and a carbon zeolite mix.
If you want sand on the bottom, you can't use the built in filter, you have to use another one eg sponge filter or internal filter. You could try a large grained gravel but I don't know whether or not it would work.
And you'd lose your biomedium when you removed the rocks so the tank would have to re-cycle.
Thank you @Essjay, I believe that is whst my mum told me but I just wanted to ask experienced members on this forum and you are one of those people Thank you :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back