Bio Balls Cause High Nitrates Fact Or Fiction ?

I think the problem is here:

But due to Dr.S's article on water flow, it clearly shows that the flow through the rock is down to animal life not external flow,

Dr Shimek hypothesises that fauna is the cause of the flow into the centre of the rock. He is not entirely sure, but it is the best fit for what he currently has.

My problem with your theory is that the moment you get away from the very surface of the rock the rate of nitrate productions is likely to drop, thus most of it will still be created on the surface. Obviously nitrates created closer in will be closer to a de-nitrifying area, but I don't think they will be in the majority. Also, the water will be going in and out, so the nitrates will still be released into the general aquarium.

One thing the article does show is just how little we really know about how live rock works.

get away from the very surface of the rock the rate of nitrate productions is likely to drop, thus most of it will still be created on the surface.

What I'm saying is the 'surface', is not actually what you see, what is in contact with the water is such a tiny area of the rock, most of the oxygenated surface is actually the areas perpendicular to rocks visible surface., Like /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\, if you were to measure just the tips of the arrows exposed to the water then that surface area is very small compared to the surface area of the angled line. So imagine the difference on a 3d scale. It's amazing how water flow is interupted at such close proximity so within the scratches of a rock possibly very little contact with new moving water.

One thing the article does show is just how little we really know about how live rock works.
Too true!, interesting debate tho hey.

Most reactions

Back