Bichirs & Silver dollars... a match made in aquarium Heaven???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
thinking the Silver dollars are bigger than Bichir mouths... I've been wanting some banded Silver dollars, but sounds like they are hard on vegetation hardest part of this mix, that I see, would be insuring that the Bichirs get enough to eat... I like my silk monstera plant they are in, in the aquaculture tanks... thought a small one or two to break up the aquariums… maybe do a couple house plant Monsteras growing out of the tank ( making sure I seal it up, as the Bichirs are escape artists ) anything else I'm missing???

have a few banded Bichirs in my aquaculture tank with the plants... going to have to move them indoors when I shut the system down & drain it... got a 55 gallon cycling with a medium sized ( big ) Pleco in it right now... would I dare stick 3-4-5 banded silver dollars in the tank, before the Bichirs move indoors... they would only be together for 3-4 months, during the winter... the Bichirs will go back out to the bigger tanks during Tilapia raising season... maybe the Silver Dollars will pick on the Bichirs after having the tank to themselves prior to putting in the Bichirs...
I could wait to add the silk plants, or rearrange before adding the Bichirs, if needed

short funny story about the Bichirs... we had a little wind storm last week, when checking on the Aquaculture tanks... it looked like I lost one of the Bichirs and it was stuck in one of the drain tubes... kinda wedged in... I would have to to use my fingers to get it out... it was a green pine cone, that had blown out of the tree line & landed on the clear ( suction side ) of the baffle that holds back the duck weed... the squirrels had started eating it, & had pulled the scaly things off the pine cone, leaving stubs that looked just like fish scales... I was sure it was one of the Bichirs, dead or alive & stuck, but turned out to be a pine cone :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back