Bettas

Olive

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Do you all think that airation should be in a betta setup? I was wondering since they like to build bubble nests..........wouldn't that mess up their "housekeeping"?
Would a bioweel be enough to cause enough movement in the water??? :dunno:

I my opinion, bettas don't need aeration. I think you're right that it would upset them because their bubble nests would always be mangled up with the bubbles. Also, an aerator doesn't actually put much oxygen into the water itself, it mostly goes to the top of the tank anyway. Bettas are Labyrinth fish and just go up to the top of their tank and gulp air from the atmosphere.
Another reason against aerators is that if you don't have a heater in your tank or bowl, the water gets disturbed enough to release the warmth from the water.... think of hot soup and you keep stirring it or blowing on it to release the heat so that you can eat it quicker.

Loboto-Me said:
I my opinion, bettas don't need aeration. I think you're right that it would upset them because their bubble nests would always be mangled up with the bubbles. Also, an aerator doesn't actually put much oxygen into the water itself, it mostly goes to the top of the tank anyway. Bettas are Labyrinth fish and just go up to the top of their tank and gulp air from the atmosphere.
Another reason against aerators is that if you don't have a heater in your tank or bowl, the water gets disturbed enough to release the warmth from the water.... think of hot soup and you keep stirring it or blowing on it to release the heat so that you can eat it quicker.
Thanks for the info.........I know that they are labrynth fish but I am nursing one back to health next door to me and wondered if he needed a little extra help. I will leave well enough alone, since I am sure the move to a new tank, the meds, and the temp change are enough for him to deal with at the moment. :D

8) Bettas dont need air opertaions even some people say females do that isnt true but if ur tryign to breed dont use it cuz it will mess up the nest :0 good luck

I LOVE FISH said:
8) Bettas dont need air opertaions even some people say females do that isnt true but if ur tryign to breed dont use it cuz it will mess up the nest :0 good luck
Good to know, thanks!!! :D

Most reactions

Back