Betta with BF tetras in a 29g?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jade M.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here so excuse any errors I make a long the way.

I have a 29g (30in × 18in × 12 in) aquarium that currently houses a small group of kuhli loaches and black phantom tetras (5 each) its also a planted tank with several pieces of drift wood, java ferns, dwarf sagittaria, water lettuce ect. And I keep it at about 78 to 80 degrees F. with a ph of 6.8 - 7. It used to have two angelfish in it but they unfortunately passed away (i recognize that they should have had more space but I found the whole tank abandoned on a sidewalk and saved them but didn't have the money for a bigger tank at the time). Anyways, I was wondering if I could possibly put a Betta in the tank. I've been looking online and there are mostly mixed reviews with some sites saying it can work out, and others say that the Betta will chase them or vis versa. I would also be okay with having a female Betta if that would work out better or getting a few more BF tetras if that would help too. Or should I ditch the Betta idea and get something else? If anyone has any experience or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated 👍

Thank you for reading this far

Welcome to the forum Jade M!
I wouldn't do it. You have the 'makings' of a spectacular Black Phantom Tetra species tank. Having said that, I will also say that I have never mixed BPT's with a Betta, so I am only rendering an opinion.

I have never kept a betta with black phantom tetras, but I've had bettas in various tanks with schooling fish. As long as the schooling fish aren't nippy--and I expect that yours wouldn't be--it should work out. As a kid, I had a community tank with some nippy tiger barbs and one would pester my betta occasionally. One day my betta was particularly content, and my previously annoying tiger barb was dead with a chunk taken out of it. I can only speculate as to how that happened, but my betta was the only fish with a mouth big enough to have done it.

I made better choices regarding tank companions after that. With bettas, most fish that they can't gulp in one shot, and that won't be aggressive toward them, are okay. There are some combos that are asking for trouble, though. Redtail sharks and bettas don't mix; one will very likely go after the other (They are both from Thailand and tend to be territorial, so that might explain it). I would not keep bettas with angelfish--but you won't be keeping angels in that tank, anyway. Bettas will eat baby livebearers every chance they get. Sometimes bettas do well with everything in a peaceful community tank, but it pays to watch carefully and avoid anything that looks similar to them or that would potentially nip at them.

As for your phantom tetra tank, why not add a Siamese (not Chinese) algae eater instead? It would add character, provide some cleaning, and probably not hassle anything.

First, you need to double (at the very least) the BP tetras. Shoaling fish need 10-12 of their species minimum for better health. Another 7 here would be ideal. It is easy to discern male and female with this species (Hyphessobrycon megalopterus) so see what you now have and aim for roughly 50/50 gender wise.

As for adding a betta, don't. Ys, there are some who claim it works, but in the majority of cases reported here and elsewhere, it does not work. The betta is territorial, and the tak will be "his" space. This works both ways. The betta may decide the other fish are unwelcome, or--and this is especially the case with characins like teetras--they will overnight view the betta as fun to fin nip. Don't risk it. There are plenty of suitable fish.

Which brings me to the Siamese Algae Easter...not in this tank. First, this is a shoaling fish so it needs a group to be well adjusted and less stressed (this is scientific fact now), second it gets 5 inches so a group needs a much, much larger tank. Regardless of keeping one alone, I am not an aquarist who advocates keeping any fish contrary to its inherent expectations/needs, if you want healthy fish anyway.

:hi: Welcome to TFF. Washington state, are you on the coastal side of the mountains, or the eastern? Only asking because your water will bee very different in GH/KH/pH depending which side.

Welcome to the forum from another Washingtonian!

@speakerman3 @Byron @JuiceBox52 @Archerfish

Thank you all for your replies, for the one who asked I live on the west side of Washington state near Seattle. I also use liquid fertilizer in my tank once a week (easy green by aquarium co-op). I think adding more Black phantom tetras is a good idea. The reason I was asking if I could add a Betta fish is because I was hoping it would eat some baby snails because I don't want my snail population to get too out of control. Plus the tetras seem to hang out on the left side of the tank a lot more than the right side (I think because that side has more water movement), so I figured the Betta could hang out on the right side. I know that Bettas temperaments can vary quite a bit though and I've never had a female Betta so I'm not sure if a female would be more or less agressive. I also don't want a Betta with a super long tail or crown tail because I know they have a harder time swimming (and I don't like the look of crown tails).
Anyway, the snail population isn't out of control yet, but I don't want them to start eating my plants and when I had my angelfish they would usually eat the snail eggs and babies which helped keep their population at bay. Since the angelfish have passed, the snails have definitely laid more eggs and there are many more baby snails. I'd definitely be open to other suggestions on some fish that would sometimes eat snails too. I've also read online that phantom tetras can do well with some other species of gourami as well, like dwarf gouramis, so if anyone has had experience with keeping them in the same tank let me know. I'd just like to know all my options. If there doesn't seem to be any fish that would help with the snail population though, I'd be fine with just keeping a larger school of blank phantom tetras in there (and maybe add some small shrimp?🤔). I don't really want angelfish again because, in my opinion, I'd want a bigger tank (which is not in the plans) and they kept laying eggs.

Gourami can work, but I would not get dwarf gourami. If this fish comes from a reliable local breeder, fine, but many are farmed in SE Asia and carry disease and not worth the risk. Other gourami species are less likely to be problematic with iridovirus (which has no treatment/cure). Honey Gourami is OK. Or a group of pygmy sparkling gourami. You have very soft water (as I do up in SW BC) so gourami are good options. Theere are some rarer species too. The Wet Spot Tropical Fish in Portland, Oregon carries some quite rare fish in season.

On the snails, leave them be. They will reproduce if food is available. There is a lot of natural food plus what you feed the fish. The small harmless snails are very beneficial. And almost any fish that might eat them--and it is a big "might"--will probably have serious issues preventing having it in this tank.

See if you can turn down the flow from the filter. These fish do not like strong currents. In my 29g tanks I only used a dual sponge filter. The sort of fish suited to this size tank will be quiet water (like the gourami, many of the tetras, rasboras, etc).

@speakerman3 @Byron @JuiceBox52 @Archerfish

Thank you all for your replies, for the one who asked I live on the west side of Washington state near Seattle. I also use liquid fertilizer in my tank once a week (easy green by aquarium co-op). I think adding more Black phantom tetras is a good idea. The reason I was asking if I could add a Betta fish is because I was hoping it would eat some baby snails because I don't want my snail population to get too out of control. Plus the tetras seem to hang out on the left side of the tank a lot more than the right side (I think because that side has more water movement), so I figured the Betta could hang out on the right side. I know that Bettas temperaments can vary quite a bit though and I've never had a female Betta so I'm not sure if a female would be more or less agressive. I also don't want a Betta with a super long tail or crown tail because I know they have a harder time swimming (and I don't like the look of crown tails).
Anyway, the snail population isn't out of control yet, but I don't want them to start eating my plants and when I had my angelfish they would usually eat the snail eggs and babies which helped keep their population at bay. Since the angelfish have passed, the snails have definitely laid more eggs and there are many more baby snails. I'd definitely be open to other suggestions on some fish that would sometimes eat snails too. I've also read online that phantom tetras can do well with some other species of gourami as well, like dwarf gouramis, so if anyone has had experience with keeping them in the same tank let me know. I'd just like to know all my options. If there doesn't seem to be any fish that would help with the snail population though, I'd be fine with just keeping a larger school of blank phantom tetras in there (and maybe add some small shrimp?🤔). I don't really want angelfish again because, in my opinion, I'd want a bigger tank (which is not in the plans) and they kept laying eggs.
Pest snails don't really eat live plants. They eat algae off the plants or they eat the dead portions of those plants. Which is a good thing because it breaks them down faster.
If you really want to get rid of the snails, they're pretty easy to squish one by one. And assassin snails can help.

For snail control, it is hard to beat a small botia loach. Unfortunately, I don't think that will work in your tank, and kuhli loaches don't seem to be up to the task. You would need to get a variety that doesn't bother your fish but doesn't require large numbers of its own kind. That is a hard combination to find. Skunk loaches don't get very big, but you would need a group--and you don't have room for that. I don't know how well any botia would get along with your kuhli loaches, either. I have never combined mixed loach varieties, so I don't know whether a botia and kuhli would have a problem, but botia can be pretty tough. I know green-striped botia are territorial with their own kind and can be isolated, but I would avoid putting one in your tank, as they can get a little bit feisty and a bit too big for a 29 gallon tank. Maybe someone else in the forum knows of a small botia that can be kept with kuhli loaches and no other members of its own species.

The reason I was asking if I could add a Betta fish is because I was hoping it would eat some baby snails
I have never heard of bettas eating snails. The ones I had never did.

If you opt to control the snails rather than eliminate them, tie a piece of dental floss to a binder clip, put a leaf of lettuce in the binder clip, and submerge it in your tank before bed. In the morning, it should be covered with snails that you can "reel in" and dispose of. Maybe you know someone with julies, puffers, or botia loaches who would want them. I have a tank that I introduced snails to as an additional food source for Tanganyikan cichlids. Just don't try that with Malaysian snails; their shells are too hard for many snail eaters.

@speakerman3 @sharkweek178 @Byron Thank you all for the tips! I'll be getting any fish from Aquarium co-op in Edmonds, Wa (which y'all should check out if you live nearby, and they also have a great website and YouTube channel), so I'm not too worried about them having problems since they quarantine all their fish and have every tank on a separate filter as to not spread any sicknesses. And all the tanks get automatic water changes. That being said I'm not sure whether or not their dwarf gouramis would be from a breeder or wild caught. I have seen sparking gouramis at their store before and definitely think that sparking gouramis are adorable so I'll do more research on their care requirements before making any decisions. Also I've had Bettas eat snails before but I haven't had a Betta in many years and I've found that their personalities can vary quite a bit. If I don't think sparkling gouramis would be a good option for me either than I'll probably just end up doubling my phantom tetra population because they don't eat plants and they're a lot of fun to watch. Plus I wanted to add some more females anyways since theirs only 3 females and 2 males and ideally there would be a higher female to male ratio. Thank you all for the advice, it's been very helpful since a lot of online articles I've read come to many different conclusions.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back