Betta with an eye-deformity. Should I buy?

No, they don't. You didn't read either thread, but are throwing your tuppence in anyway.

As I said, the other 'fish-keeper' wasn't really interested in providing a suitable environment for the fish. They haven't even logged in in the last two days to check the responses to the thread, and judging by their last message, there is no way in hell that mess has been resolved in the last two days, unless the Guppies died.

There's no use in commenting on situations you are not aware of. :)
Um, I tagged here in here to help support my point that kindness and encouragement helps more people than hostility does - regret dragging her into this now, my apologies, @AilyNC .

Kindness and support doesn't win everyone other, no one said it did, but I've yet to see someone respond well to hostility. Speaking of, please be civil, there are rules about that here. There's no need to be rude.

Um, I tagged here in here to help support my point that kindness and encouragement helps more people than hostility does - regret dragging her into this now, my apologies, @AilyNC .

Kindness and support doesn't win everyone other, no one said it did, but I've yet to see someone respond well to hostility. Speaking of, please be civil, there are rules about that here. There's no need to be rude.

I'm honestly not trying to be rude, I just tell it like it is. That's why I put a smiley. I actually went back and edited that post as I realised it was a little sharp, but you've gone and quoted it!

But the truth is there is no use trying to give advice or opinion unless you have actually read the points of what we are debating here, you will do more harm than good that way.

I have not meant any hostility to anyone, and I do not believe I have been hostile, merely honest.

At the moment, all I have is a colony of Red Cherry Shrimp in the tank, which the fish would live with.
Ye it'll be fine. The holes aren't a disease, it's just not the highest quality betta. Hole in the head is very distinct, and I doubt that the seller would post a pic of a betta with hith.

was thinking about that, and telling the seller I will pay the postage, and adopt the Betta instead of buying her. I do not think they will go for that, but I may make the offer and then leave it a couple of weeks or even longer, to see if they cave in.
What they don't realise you would be giving it the care it needs and most likely treatment to see if it helps, it looks like they've not done much to help in that way, it's up to you if you want that betta or not and you can only see what they say.

@Huscarl86 @AdoraBelle Dearheart

Lets keep this civil children!!

*wags finger at both* :lol: :lol:

Only joking ;)

Anyway, am actually hoping the store will let you have the betta free or at a reduced rate at least, then you can give him a good home. (But be aware of the already mentioned points about possible holes in head in this betta.)

Many fish species will do fine with one eye, I had a kubotai with a milky eye, got it from LFS like this, and added to my tank before I realised he had this, but did not affect any other livestock luckily.

Believe was blind in that eye and was quite happily swimming around in a 3 foot tank with 2 or 3 other species of small fish and had a hearty appetite too.

By the way, hole in the head affects ANY fish, including betta splendens though rarer due to their usually being kept singly in small 5 - 10 gal tanks.

Imho hole in the head is caused by a bacteria called hexamita.

Hexamita is a type of parasite that lives in the bodies of all fish, usually these parasites are in very small numbers so does not generally effect fish.

However if fish immune systems get weakened due to anything like stress, poor water quality, fluctuating water parameters and even the type of food can be a factor for any disease for that matter but included is hole in the head.

IF the bettas DOES have hole in the head, there are treatments that are available, but this does depend on how early you catch this hole in the head stage at, once fish gets symptoms of deep holes in the head and even in its body as well, there is little chance to be honest.

Believe treatment is usually meds like dimetridazole or metronidazole, these you can get in USA, am unsure about UK tbh as I've never tried to get this.

And of course really good water quality is a must as should be the case anyway, but more so in treating livestock for anything at all so frequent water changes and good quality foods will help, but as I say, it depends on how far the hole in the head disease has progressed.

Believe treatment is usually meds like dimetridazole or metronidazole, these you can get in USA, am unsure about UK tbh as I've never tried to get this.
Octozin by Waterlife contains dimetridazole. (Someone told me it contains dipterex so I contacted Waterlife to ask, and they said it was dimetridazole)
Metronidazole is prescription only.

@Huscarl86 @AdoraBelle Dearheart

Lets keep this civil children!!

*wags finger at both* :lol: :lol:

Only joking ;)

Anyway, am actually hoping the store will let you have the betta free or at a reduced rate at least, then you can give him a good home. (But be aware of the already mentioned points about possible holes in head in this betta.)

Many fish species will do fine with one eye, I had a kubotai with a milky eye, got it from LFS like this, and added to my tank before I realised he had this, but did not affect any other livestock luckily.

Believe was blind in that eye and was quite happily swimming around in a 3 foot tank with 2 or 3 other species of small fish and had a hearty appetite too.

By the way, hole in the head affects ANY fish, including betta splendens though rarer due to their usually being kept singly in small 5 - 10 gal tanks.

Imho hole in the head is caused by a bacteria called hexamita.

Hexamita is a type of parasite that lives in the bodies of all fish, usually these parasites are in very small numbers so does not generally effect fish.

However if fish immune systems get weakened due to anything like stress, poor water quality, fluctuating water parameters and even the type of food can be a factor for any disease for that matter but included is hole in the head.

IF the bettas DOES have hole in the head, there are treatments that are available, but this does depend on how early you catch this hole in the head stage at, once fish gets symptoms of deep holes in the head and even in its body as well, there is little chance to be honest.

And of course really good water quality is a must as should be the case anyway, but more so in treating livestock for anything at all so frequent water changes and good quality foods will help, but as I say, it depends on how far the hole in the head disease has progressed.
Great info having a betta myself :good:

I'm juggling another power cut and little internet. I did read this thread and didn't read the other. Which I thought was clear in my replies.

If you don't care about price why ask to adopt and not purchase this fish? I think it's understandable that i read from this that price point was a concern. I apologized that i misunderstood you.

Tag me in the other thread and I can better comment but I've not seen it. And my approach would be same - fix water parameters, cycle issues and then fix stock issues. Provide the info and poster can decide if they want to follow.

I'm juggling another power cut and little internet. I did read this thread and didn't read the other. Which I thought was clear in my replies.

If you don't care about price why ask to adopt and not purchase this fish? I think it's understandable that i read from this that price point was a concern. I apologized that i misunderstood you.

Tag me in the other thread and I can better comment but I've not seen it. And my approach would be same - fix water parameters, cycle issues and then fix stock issues. Provide the info and poster can decide if they want to follow.
Ye I don't get the adoption thing if money isn't an issue. The breeder is selling the fish, if no one buys it, it will die in its breeder tank. If you buy it then its yours and you can do what you please with it. I'm confused as to why OP made this thread. If the fish is in a tank with shrimp, the blindness means nothing because it can't be outcompeted, and if you like it, you should buy it.

Ye I don't get the adoption thing if money isn't an issue. The breeder is selling the fish, if no one buys it, it will die in its breeder tank. If you buy it then its yours and you can do what you please with it. I'm confused as to why OP made this thread. If the fish is in a tank with shrimp, the blindness means nothing because it can't be outcompeted, and if you like it, you should buy it.

What I think the OP wanted by posting this thread is to ask your opinion if he should get this betta or not as he has only seen this betta for sale online and is unsure whether he should get it or not due to its eye issue.

He may not know what the issue about the eye was and possibly may not know a lot of Betta splendens, so thus wants to know as much as possible before purchasing especially if there was a potential issue linking with the eye issue that may have meant the betta could be dead within a few days so therefore his dilemma of whether its worth buying plus shipping costs or best to leave it if imminent death was coming for the betta.

And now he is becoming more informed and starting to get his own opinion now based on our responses, which have to say have been really good so far, lots of useful bits of information.

Always worth asking others for their opinions as there are always more experienced keepers who may have very useful information or tips that could help you ;)

Ye I don't get the adoption thing if money isn't an issue. The breeder is selling the fish, if no one buys it, it will die in its breeder tank. If you buy it then its yours and you can do what you please with it. I'm confused as to why OP made this thread.

I do not know why you are confused, perhaps you haven't read the first post in the thread, here....

" Does anyone know what this is? Am I asking for problems? Will it get sick/die, or is this just a cosmetic deformity? "

Whether I pay for the Betta or not is irrelavant. If somebody diagnoses this as some sort of degenerative disease which is going to get worse, then I will not take the Betta whether it was free or not.

I do not know why you are confused, perhaps you haven't read the first post in the thread, here....

" Does anyone know what this is? Am I asking for problems? Will it get sick/die, or is this just a cosmetic deformity? "

Whether I pay for the Betta or not is irrelavant. If somebody diagnoses this as some sort of degenerative disease which is going to get worse, then I will not take the Betta whether it was free or not.
Ah. I just misread. Anyways, I don't see any real problems arising from the eye as long as the fish is just with shrimp. I would advise strongly against any other tank mates for it though, as the damaged eye could slow feeding. Very pretty fish, I would buy it myself.

What I think the OP wanted by posting this thread is to ask your opinion if he should get this betta or not as he has only seen this betta for sale online and is unsure whether he should get it or not due to its eye issue.

He may not know what the issue about the eye was

Thanks a lot for all the earlier info you posted, Charlie, it's was quite encouraging and for now clarifying that for me.

You are right, I have no idea what the eye issue is at all. I'm guessing it's just a defect from poor breeding, perhaps.

I apologise to @AilyNC for being a little bit sharp, but I am standing by my guns with regards to the other thread we have been discussing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back