Betta water temp too hot or too cold?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WiccaFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 3 gallon tank for my one betta and the heater seems to be too strong. It is preset for 76 degrees but shoots up to 84 which makes his tank feel like hot soup. I ordered a new heater that adjusts the heat if it gets too hot or too cold. The problem is I don't get it until the 15th. Without the heater the temp drops to 71. Is it better to leave the heater in and keep the water at a sweltering 84 or keep it out and have it a chilly 71?

Bettas should be kept at 76 to 80. While they are able to survive outside of that range, they will not be happy and they will not live as long. If your heater isn't doing the job right, to get a new one. Preferably one that you set the temperature on, not a preset one. I had the same issue when I used preset ones but I've had no issues since I switched to ones I set the temperature on. I use the Fluval M series in my tanks currently.

I ordered one I can set the temp and it will turn on and off until desired temp is reached. Unfortunately, it won't get here until the 15th

I would leave your current heater in for now then. While their preferred range is 76-80, they will do just fine in 74-85. 71 is out of that range but 84 is in that range. So leave the heater until you get a new one.

Most reactions

Back