Best Way To Clean Sand Before Adding It To Tank?

MikeD67

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
154
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Olympia, WA
Ok everyone im almost to the point of adding my sand I just finished my DIY backround today and its got to dry for 24 hours after that im getting the egg crate for the bottom and my rock then adding the sand but my question is what is the best way to clean the sand before adding it to tank? I have heard of pillow cases being used buckets but not sure exactly which is going to work best for me or do you just add it in and then let the filter get all the fine particles out?

BTW the sand i am using is childrens play sand if this helps at all with suggestions.
 
Just put some in a bucket, if you have a hose run it into the bucket (if not keep filling the bucket) and keep stirring it and emptying it until the water runs clear. It takes quite a while to clear up in the tank if you dont wash it.
 
I like to put it in the bucket and stick the hose down into the sand and kind of stir it with the hose. If you get sand moving around in the bucket with the water running, it will get most of the dust out. I wouldn't do a whole bag at a time though. Maybe a third at a time to mke it easier.
 
I like to stick it into a pillow case and just hose it around and such.
 
I live in a apartment so using a hose isnt a option figured i could use my 3 gal bucket and use the bath tub for rinsing or i could use a pillow case in the bath tub just trying to find out which method cleans better.
 
Be careful using a sink or tub as depending on the type sand you use, there can be a large amount of sediment that you wash out and down the drain resulting in a clog. Probably won't be a problem but could be.
 
I use the pillowcase method as well and have never been dissapointed! It works faster and holds more sand than the bucket!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top