Best tank mates for a female beta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

biofish

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
I managed to score an amazing price in a 29 gallon tank with everything included for $65 at petsmart. I had originally gone to pick up a 10 gallon with not all parts that was $90 (I needed a specific shape to fit where I was gonna put it so I had to be willing to cough up a bit more dough).

And then I bought a female beta. I have a 10 gallon tank that I plan on transferring the fish in it to the 29 gallon. But I was hoping to get a divider for the 29 gallon and keeping the 10 gallon as the isolation / medical / breeding tank.

on one side of the 29 gallon I was planning on putting all my male guppy while on the other side of the divider my female guppy + the beta.

i wanna know what other fish I could put with her, the female beta, or if I should put her in my ten gallon by herself when I clean it out.

edit: I have two female guppies in a 1.5 gallon, so that tank will be available as well for either the breeding/quarantine tank or the betaā€™s home (but I know that even though betas CAN live it in a 1.5, they arenā€™t the happiest.

I managed to score an amazing price in a 29 gallon tank with everything included for $65 at petsmart. I had originally gone to pick up a 10 gallon with not all parts that was $90 (I needed a specific shape to fit where I was gonna put it so I had to be willing to cough up a bit more dough).

And then I bought a female beta. I have a 10 gallon tank that I plan on transferring the fish in it to the 29 gallon. But I was hoping to get a divider for the 29 gallon and keeping the 10 gallon as the isolation / medical / breeding tank.

on one side of the 29 gallon I was planning on putting all my male guppy while on the other side of the divider my female guppy + the beta.

i wanna know what other fish I could put with her, the female beta, or if I should put her in my ten gallon by herself when I clean it out.

edit: I have two female guppies in a 1.5 gallon, so that tank will be available as well for either the breeding/quarantine tank or the betaā€™s home (but I know that even though betas CAN live it in a 1.5, they arenā€™t the happiest.
I am new to fish keeping, but was told by various sources 3 Cory catfish & a bristlenose pleco would do well in a 10 G tank. All the betta did was pick on the others. Perhaps I could have given it more time, but after several hours I moved the 4 new fish to a 10 G that I was prepping for 10 neon tetras. Could be my betta boy is particularly aggressive, idk. So plan is to leave this handsome loaner alone.

I had two Cory catfish, two female guppies, and one pleco in with her and this morning she ripped out one of the Coryā€™s eyes šŸ˜­

Sheā€™s typically very chill and o think it only happened because the Cory accidentally poked her withā€¦ Iā€™m not sure what it is but Iā€™ve been poked by it too. Itā€™s surprisingly sharp. And she bit out of defense.

so far, my hurt Cory is still alive. Itā€™s been about 12 hours

Sheā€™s currently in the same tank with the two
Female guppies only, I took the other three out. So far they look fineā€¦. Iā€™m gonna watch them like a hawk before making the final decision, because everything was perfectly fine until this morning. But, if my female beta displays anymore behavior like or any aggressive behavior at all then sheā€™s gonna definitely get her own tank.

I had two Cory catfish, two female guppies, and one pleco in with her and this morning she ripped out one of the Coryā€™s eyes šŸ˜­

Sheā€™s typically very chill and o think it only happened because the Cory accidentally poked her withā€¦ Iā€™m not sure what it is but Iā€™ve been poked by it too. Itā€™s surprisingly sharp. And she bit out of defense.

so far, my hurt Cory is still alive. Itā€™s been about 12 hours
Thatā€™s awful! Have you isolated the injured fish? How big are they?
I have a bristlenose with 3 Cory cats too. all small, 1.5-2 inches. What you say is scary. Iā€™ve heard from several sources these are peaceful fish who should be able to coexist. Wishing the best outcome.

Keeping her with other fish is just asking for trouble. Eye eaters/attackers rarely stop at one. The guppies are faster and a harder target, but I really do not recommend you try and keep this fish with others. Taking a chance of her injuring another fish is not responsible IMO.

I am guilty of this too so I am definitely not bashing. My Blood Parrot beat up many others before I realized that mean fish typically are just mean fish. He wasn't always mean but he decided one day that he no longer wanted tankmates and that was it. Once they turn on another fish, it is best to keep them alone. High chance the problem will recur if not.

I am new to fish keeping, but was told by various sources 3 Cory catfish & a bristlenose pleco would do well in a 10 G tank. All the betta did was pick on the others. Perhaps I could have given it more time, but after several hours I moved the 4 new fish to a 10 G that I was prepping for 10 neon tetras. Could be my betta boy is particularly aggressive, idk. So plan is to leave this handsome loaner alone.
What sources told you that 3 cories and a bristlenose can go into a 10 gallon tank? Surely no sources here told you that. No type of pleco really belongs in a 10 gallon. And cories, though fairly small... tend to do better in groups that need larger than a 10 gallon tank. In either case, you don't want a male Betta in with them regardless.

Keeping her with other fish is just asking for trouble. Eye eaters/attackers rarely stop at one. The guppies are faster and a harder target, but I really do not recommend you try and keep this fish with others. Taking a chance of her injuring another fish is not responsible IMO.

I am guilty of this too so I am definitely not bashing. My Blood Parrot beat up many others before I realized that mean fish typically are just mean fish. He wasn't always mean but he decided one day that he no longer wanted tankmates and that was it. Once they turn on another fish, it is best to keep them alone. High chance the problem will recur if not.
I read in a library ebook about betta female sororities. 5 or so females kept together. He said it was risky business & for experienced fish ppl.
Nothing Iā€™d ever attempt! My betta boy seems content in his 10 G tank all by himself.

Me too! Tried mine with little cory cat & bristlenose & he bullied them for a few hours until I removed the newcomers

When I bred Betta's, I would separate the males out into their own compartments in what I would call a Betta Bank. But the females I would leave together, very rarely would I have problems with the female fish.

When I bred Betta's, I would separate the males out into their own compartments in what I would call a Betta Bank. But the females I would leave together, very rarely would I have problems with the female fish.
Very interesting. Donā€™t know much about it. Breezed through library ebook on bettas. When guy discussed betta sororities I thought it was his own descriptive phrase & not common usage. Then saw same in another book. Both writers said it can be done but can also end badly, for experienced ppl only. Agreed sorority should be at least 5 and they will set up a hierarchy with an alpha female. I saw photos of some very colorful girls.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back