Best power filter???

nicsf50

Reaction score
I'm shopping for new power filters for a 40 gal & a 100 gal I want to set up. Ive had fish years ago & I am just getting back into it. Does anyone have an opinion on the Tetratec PF300 & PF500 filters? I like the heater feature, but I've had an Emperor 400 on my 60 gal before w/great results. How do they compare? Any suggestions would be helpful. :D

Unfamiliar with models mentioned but there are Eheim 'thermo' filters available over here, externals. They're getting very good press but are expensive compared to regular ex. filters. :)

IMO, if you want a great power filter, go with AquaClear. Very good filtration, super quiet, and so easy to maintain. And the price can't be beat. Also, I have not heard much good about the TetraTec filters.

i have both filters. a tetratec 300 on my 29 gallon and the emperor 400 on my 40 gallon. the emperor will give you the most surface area for beneficial bact. but i have no complaints on the tetra-tec. it also has the capability of supplying this bact. it has a special chamber with a air lock. this chamber will have a foam piece that will empty and fill letting the foam to be exposed to o2 much like a biowheel. also much like the emperor filter the tetra-tec will give you the same options as far as filter cartridges(being pouch-like mediums that you can fill with whatever you like).

Thanx 4 the replies yall :D Do you think that the Penguin 330 w/Bio-wheels is a good filter for a 100 gal w/15 medium sized cichlids? I see them on sale for $26.99

Well, my choices for my 100 gal have come down to either the the Emperor 400 $46.00, or the Tetratec 500 $56.00. I wish I could put two Penguin 330s, but the tank is a Tru Vu w/only one opening for the filter. Should I try the Tetratec? It filters 100 more gph than the Emperor, but is it as efficient & easy to maintain?

nicsf50,

When you say "medium size" are you referring to S/C American or African cichlids?? If the answer is S/C American I am sorry to say, but neither one by itself will be adequate for a 100 gallon tank with 15 medium size cichlids in it!!

To house S/C American cichlids properly you will need to turn the tank volume over at least 8-10 times per hour!!!

If your going to keep Africans, then the emperor would suffice as long as you did weekly water changes of at least 30%!! I would also add a powerhead w/sponge filter attachment to this set up.

When I ws keeping S/C American cichlids, I had a 136 gallon tank with medium and large cichlids in it. I had 2 600 gph filters plus 4 powerheads w/pre filters on this tank. I would do bi-weekly water changes of 50% and I still had a lot of "crap" in the gravel bed!!!

CM

you might want to try looking into wet/dry or ordinary canister filters. you can always pipe seperate biowheels to the filter if called for.

I'm just getting back into it too. This weekend I saw a Marineland Magnum 220 canister for $90. It looks easy to clean since the filter section lifts right off the base. Is that a good price? Anybody else have one and want to comment on it - good or bad?

I keep hearing good things about Marineland's Magnum filters. They have the Magnum 350 Delux and Pro Delux Systems on sale for $82.99 and $99.99 at Drs Foster & Smith.
Foster&Smith Filters
After researching stores and the internet, I think it's the one I'll end up buying.

Magnum 350 Pro System
Magnum 350 canister filter converts from continuous duty to water polishing or gravel washing. The BIO-Wheel Pro 60 with oxygenating spray bar drive is far superior to undergravel or other submerged-media systems at promoting higher oxygen levels, stabilizing pH and generating more beneficial nitrifying bacteria. The Bio-Wheel eliminates more toxic ammonia and nitrite on contact... and never needs to be replaced. The Magnum Power Kleen Gravel Washer plugs right into the Magnum. Includes: two quick-disconnect double valves, Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon (15oz), Flexi and Easy-Kleen brushes, and an inlet extension tube (for deeper tanks).

Most reactions

Back